What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Cephalotus setup

I have recently reorganized my setup that i use to grow my little ceph. The light is 6400k and gives off about 10,000 lumens, the humidifier is a repti fogger that is turned on in the morning at max until I cant see the humidistat and is turned on at min. during the day for a few minutes and finally kept on right before the light goes out on mid dial for about 2-3 min. This keeps the tank at 80-60% humidity during the day and about 70-85% at night.

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

nice setup! i also use reptifoggers and t5s. love em both. best of luck to you n your plants.

I use a hygrotherm to control the reptifoggers...makes it hands free but will set ya back about 60 bucks. somethin to think about down the road if you have some extra money though.

cheers

Was thinking about one but I still am undecided due to the fact that the humidifier costs the same amount as the humidistat....

What about night temps? This species lives in a coastal climate where night temps drop to at least 55F every night, and this is a requirement if you are going to maintain their health long term.

Well it gets down to about 68 at night which is the usual minimum that it recieves.....

Mobile beat me to it! I was just about to post this climate statistics URL: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009637.shtml

Even in January and February, when this region is the warmest of the year, the average nighttime lows are in the mid-fifties Fahrenheit. Daytime highs, on average, do not exceed eighty Fahrenheit. Now, while many folks like elgecko do successfully grow the species in conditions that are considerably outside the plants normal temperature range, I prefer to mirror the climate conditions as found in habitat. Are my results likely to be better than someone growing theirs in a terrarium in typical household temps? Well, maybe....maybe not. What all these varied experiences suggest is that Cephalotus, as far as temperature tolerance is concerned, is a very adaptable species as long as its core needs are met. I prefer to research a species' habitat conditions and emulate them as best I can. I believe that some knowledge of the environmental conditions of the plants you care for is an asset when trying to set up a grow space for them.

FYI: my Cephalotus are growing in my highland Nepenthes house, right next to the south wall where they get full sun exposure through the glass. Because the containers are exposed to direct sunlight, I have chosen pale cream-colored ceramic pots to reduce the solar gain and therefore maintain a cool soil temperature, something I believe is crucial to root health for the species. If you plant in dark colored pots, you can't site them where the pot will heat up in the sun! Ceramic pots also tend to moderate the soil temperature better than plastic pots, in my experience.
You've all probably seen this:
cephalotus-08-25a1.jpg

See also: http://www.foxoles.dsl.pipex.com/index.html

Last edited:
Back