What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the past three years now I have trimmed back my Sarrs and placed them into the refrigerator when winter came around. It wasn't until I joined this group that I realized they could survive in a bog outside where I live (Nebraska: zone 5b) if special care was taken. Next year I plan to do this, but as of now I'm going with my old method due to lack of time and just cutting them back and tossing them in the refrigerator after letting them begin hibernation naturally outside.

This process has happened and they are now trimmed and in the refrigerator.

So I started reading more and found that some people spray theirs with a fungicide before putting them to rest for the year and was wondering if there was a brand people used more than others, or if there was something people would recommend here? I've never had trouble with fungus, etc. in the past, but I'd hate to lose a couple the last year I employ this fridge method.

Thanks!
Ben

P.S. not if it matters, but I have 20 plants in the fridge ranging from alata, flava, oreophila, psittacina, some various hybrids and a couple flytraps.

BONIDE fungicide in the white spray bottle. Avoid the granules, they suck.
The spray works like a charm, but will bleach live LFS white and kill off any sprayed area on cephalotus. just FYI..

I havn't tried on my CP's yet, but I am a huge fan of the brand Bayer. I have similar situation as you and similar concerns for needing a fungicide and I asked in the chat box what a couple of other folks use and here was their reply:
"get BONIDE fungicide pray. safe to use on all CP's."
"and Bayer Advanced rose & flower pesticides for bugs. Also safe on all CP's."

Bonide and Bayer are both readily available here in the mid-west and hope to be experimenting with both brands and their products soon.

@Mass: you are good! you were one of the folks quoted lol

Go to youtube and search on "Safe fungicdes for Carnivorous Plants". They discuss which fungicides are good for winter use for dormancy.

I won't put a link here because the video is produced by another CP nursery.

I havn't tried on my CP's yet, but I am a huge fan of the brand Bayer. I have similar situation as you and similar concerns for needing a fungicide and I asked in the chat box what a couple of other folks use and here was their reply:
"get BONIDE fungicide pray. safe to use on all CP's."
"and Bayer Advanced rose & flower pesticides for bugs. Also safe on all CP's."

Bonide and Bayer are both readily available here in the mid-west and hope to be experimenting with both brands and their products soon.

@Mass: you are good! you were one of the folks quoted lol

was gonna say.. that looks like something I said. Since I use both of those.. lol

Thanks guys!

Also, not a number, thanks for the pseudo link. That's where all the sarrs came from anyway!

hi kwende

Most fungicides are Ok, just avoid anything with coppe in it as the plants dont like it.

cheers
Steve

By coppe, do you mean copper?

As in their liquid copper product?

Any fungicide with a metal compound in it is likely to be phytotoxic to many CP genera and should be avoided completely. Ie: sulphur compounds are generally safe (as preventatives, not curatives) whereas copper compounds are likely to cause damage. On the other hand, the "azole fungicides" have been proven safe on most genera, notably Sarracenia and Nepenthes, on which I have used these fungicides personally. The Bayer fungicides (tebuconazole, I believe) should be safe, as well as the Banner Maxx (propiconazole) types, of which there are several brands.

Clearys 3336 is also frequently recommended, especially for the control of Nepenthes Cercospora leaf spot, and is safe to use on many genera, to the best of my knowledge. There are other (less pricey) products containing Thiophanate-methy, the active ingredient in the Clearys 3336, that I have used myself and have found no phytotoxic effect on Nepenthes. Sarracenia is something you should test on yourself; start with one plant and watch for signs of toxicity. I'm sure someone else here has used Clearys (or equivalent) on Sarracenia and can offer their experience.

The BONIDE I use is indeed a copper fungicide.
The only plant that has shown any sort of die back after being sprayed with it is Cephalotus.
Otherwise, I've had no problems using it on carnivorous plants.

I had some leaves on a few Nepenthes die off after being sprayed with Safer sulfur fungicide. But for the most part the plants don't seem to mind.

Back