What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I thought I was going to receive some dormant rhizomes with no pitchers, but I guess these aren't dormant... ???

inh5vs.jpg

I made sure the medium was just moist, not wet, when I potted them. I put maybe a few tablespoons of distilled water right around the rhizome. These are in drained pots that dry out pretty quick for my neps, but I planted these in straight sphag, so they won't dry as fast.

I put some live sphag on the pots because I had to rip up my sphag cultures to get enough medium to pot them in (can't get to Lowes or HD for a few weeks) and there was too much live sphag left over so I used it to put around the plants.

I'm thinking I will keep the sphag moist for about a month or month and a half until it grows some new little heads on it and then I'll let the medium and sphag dry out a bit, keeping it slightly moist, just enough to keep everything alive.

These are in my highland greenhouse with my Nepenthes. It never goes below 50F at night and during the winter days it is about 60-70F in the GH. It will be cloudy for the next few weeks, so the humidity should be about 85-90% the entire day unless the heater kicks on.

So are these dormant? When will they go dormant? Do they lose their pitchers and leaves when they go dormant? Can I grow sphag on top during the winter as long as I don't keep it too moist? I'll put enough on just so it doesn't completely dry out.

TL;DR may have got you...

So are these dormant? When will they go dormant? Do they lose their pitchers and leaves when they go dormant? Can I grow sphag on top during the winter as long as I don't keep it too moist? I'll put enough on just so it doesn't completely dry out.

They are in the process of going dormant. Put them outside for the winter. They look like some sort of purpurea or purp hybrid. They will go dormant and the leaves will probably die but just leave them on and wait for spring. That is what to do for the plants with established rhizomes. For the little ones, I would put them under lights, otherwise they might go dormant due to the short photoperiod and at that size they probably will survive a winter, but you can get them bigger faster if you put them under lights and fertilize. You might be able to grow sphagnum in the pots but I wouldn't.

They are in the process of going dormant. Put them outside for the winter. They look like some sort of purpurea or purp hybrid. They will go dormant and the leaves will probably die but just leave them on and wait for spring. That is what to do for the plants with established rhizomes. For the little ones, I would put them under lights, otherwise they might go dormant due to the short photoperiod and at that size they probably will survive a winter, but you can get them bigger faster if you put them under lights and fertilize. You might be able to grow sphagnum in the pots but I wouldn't.

Can the little ones live in my LL terrarium? 80F days, 70F nights. :)

Honestly, if I put them outside, I will forget about them and they will dry out. I can put them on the floor of the GH under one of the shelves, that is much colder than up where the heater is. The bottom of the greenhouse may get 5-10F colder on winter nights than the top portion with Nepenthes. So it would be like 40-45F towards the bottom I guess. I'll have to measure it one night.

It appears you have most S. purpurea (or purpurea hybrids) here, and these need to go dormant: put them in a tub so you can let them sit in an inch of water, and train yourself to remember to check on them. (Come on, how hard can that be?!)
This species has evolved to survive extremely cold temperatures at times, and in many colonies, they may experience sub-zero temps for extended periods. (Although in their bog environments, the roots never freeze, since they sit below the water line in the bog) If day temps are going to be 60-70F in the day, they won't go dormant, so get them outside.

Back