What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia cool water question (also, sarracenia seedling question)

Most of the information on Darlingtonia says that they need cool water running over their roots. Maybe they don't need cool water so much as a good supply of oxygen to their roots. Cool water has higher oxygen content that room temperature water. Has anyone ever tried growing Darlingtonia with an air bubbler in the pot? Has anyone tried growing any CP with an air bubbler in the pot? I have read that several people don't keep their plant's roots cool and the plant grows well. I have also read that people say if you get the soil mixture right, keeping the roots cool isn't that big of an issue.

My question on Sarracenia seedlings is, if the seedlings are grown for 2 years with the lights on 24/7 and no dormancy, when they are finally put through dormancy (ie, a modified cooling system to get the temperature low enough), could the lights still be left on 24/7? I know that sometimes, changes in photoperiod can cause plants to enter dormancy. And can older Sarracenia plants be grown with lights on 24/7?

Dormancy is triggered by shorter photoperiod more than drop in temperature, but sarrs need a combination both for proper dormancy. Chances are a 24/7 photoperiod will not allow the plants to go dormant even if the temps are lowered.

My darlingtonia in a setup where there is constant water flowing through the roots from a pond don't get cool water in summer, so I think it is the oxygenation from constant water flow that is the most important as they grow very well in those conditions. My darlingtonia in the bog and pots don't grow as well or fast just getting water poured over them a couple times a day, but they do okay. Cool water does keep the roots from over-heating in pots, but a top dressing of moss helps keep the roots from overheating also.

I'm thinking of doing some experiments then. Maybe do 2 batches of sarracenia seedlings and when they go into dormancy, one batch gets 8 hours with the lights on and the second batch gets 24/7.

What if darlingtonia were grown in a very airy soil mix like orchid bark but the pot was being kept tray method and had water halfway up the pot but had a bubbler in the bottom of the pot to constantly pump oxygen through the pot?

I only wonder if the bubbler would cause the media to shift and compact over time, disturbing the roots. Don't give that theory too much credence though. It's just a hunch.

i actually have a water pump pump water through the soil and it loves it
oh forgot dormancy beter get to it

Phil Sheridan at Meadowview Biological Research station has done experiments to see if 24/7 lighting really boosts the growth of sarracenia seedlings. He compared seedlings on a 16 hour photoperiod to the ones with continuous lighting and found that there were NO significant differences in growth rate, and the seedlings with a 16 hour photoperiod were just as vigorous as those with a continuous photoperiod. Photosynthesis consists of light mediated reactions (which we all know of), as well as "dark reactions", where the final products of photosynthesis are synthesised without the need for light. So, plants aren't innactive durring the dark cycle, and really most plants benefit from having a daily dark cycle.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your electricity! Some controled plant experiments will use a 18 hour photoperiod to raise plants, but anything over that will be a waste, and 16 hours is plenty.

Also, durring dormancy a little light is beneficial, but they are not actively growing and sure as heck don't need lights on continuously!!! I would say 10 hours MAX during dormancy bro! Since you're in Tennessee, why don't you use the naturally cold weather in the winter to cool them down durring dormancy (put them in a cold garage with lights on a short photoperiod, or something similar)?

My Darlingtonia has fared quite well for several years without flowing water through the soil or using an air bubbler. I think the key is to use a fairly airy mix and to keep the pot shaded and cool. I do water in the top of the pot when I water though, and water flowing through the soil with a pump has proven to be beneficial for many growers

Safety Shears: What about growing Darlingtonia hydroponically with gravel or clay pebbles?
n bicalcarata: I want to try growing darlingtonia with water being pumped through the pot too. How do you put your darlingtonia through dormancy since you pump water through the roots?

Safety Shears: What about growing Darlingtonia hydroponically with gravel or clay pebbles?
n bicalcarata: I want to try growing darlingtonia with water being pumped through the pot too. How do you put your darlingtonia through dormancy since you pump water through the roots?

Durring dormancy you wont need to pump water through the roots for Darlingtonia. That's mainly helpful durring the heat of the summer and as the plant is actively growing to help cool the roots . When darlingtonia stops growing durring dormancy, you can basically just keep the soil moist, throw it in a cool temp location and forget about it. I exaggerate slightly to make the point, but basically this is true. You'll want to check up on the plant and make sure there is no fungus growing on it, but dormancy is a very low maintanance period for north American CP's. There's nothing to it really, as long as it gets its expected cooler temps and short photoperiod.

This is not to say you can't pump water in the pot while it's dormant. The plant will still go dormant regardless. But as with having lights on 24/7 with Sarracenia seedlings, there's really little point.

Hope this is helpful, and makes things easier for you ;)

Also, durring dormancy a little light is beneficial, but they are not actively growing and sure as heck don't need lights on continuously!!! I would say 10 hours MAX during dormancy bro! Since you're in Tennessee, why don't you use the naturally cold weather in the winter to cool them down durring dormancy (put them in a cold garage with lights on a short photoperiod, or something similar)?

This is great advice, I completely agree. I've heard that 8-10 hours during dormancy is ideal for Sarracenia. And a cool basement would also work if you don't have garage space.

richjam1986 gives excellent advice for both the sarrs and Darlingtonia.

Unfortunately, I don't have a basement or garage so I have to options: outside where it will get below 30 degrees, or the refrigerator.
That is interesting about the sarracenia. During the experiment, do you know if the seedlings were grown year round or put through dormancy?
I haven't put a lot of my plants into dormancy yet because I'm just concerned that I'll mess it up and hurt/kill the plant. Almost all of my plants need a dormancy though.

You can grow seedlings without dormancy for a couple years to get them to a larger size more quickly, so your on the right track there. But beyond two years old I would give them dormancy.

Yeah, dormancy is really important so you better give it to your plants ;) You can kill them in a couple year's time (beyond the seedling stage) by not giving them dormancy.

Just becuase it gets below 30 degrees outside doesn't mean you can't keep them outside. North american Cp's are frost tolerant and can take frosts down to 20 degrees for a short period of time, as long as the day temperature is above freezing. If you cover them up during extra cold periods (using a tarp or mulch of some kind) they should be fine. This is what I would do in your situation.

Edit: These temp tolerances are for plants in pots. Plants in the ground in a bog garden can take lower temps than plants in pots, since the pots will freeze through more quickly... And of course it depends a bit on what specific plant your talking about.

Last edited:

just turn it off

That sounds complicated. :p Do you have a picture of your setup for your Darlingtonia?
I started dormancy for my plants. I ordered some that came in dormant so I put them all in a plastic bag with a few strands of moist sphagnum moss and I put them in the fridge. I also put my potted Drosera intermedia in plastic bags and in the fridge. I put all my vft, sarr, and drosera capillaris in a small aquarium (just to keep them all together) and I put them outside. If the temperatures start getting too cold, I might bring them inside until it gets less chilly. In the next few days, I plan to take a few leaves from my drosera capillaris and vft to start propagating more plants.

Just make sure to check on them regularly for any signs of fungus, especially the ones that are unpotted and in the fridge. I've found that the unpotted plants have the greatest tendency to have mold problems durring dormancy (compared to potted plants). I would recomend even spraying them all with a sulfur fungicide as a preventative measure. Sounds like you're doing all the right things though :)

all of my temperates are fairly dormant now. i built a temporary coldframe around a table with 6 mil plastic and foam insulation for a base and surrounding the pots. They get reduced light and cold temps but ideally not enough to freeze through the pots when it gets colder. I am circumventing nature a tad by not allowing frost to come in contact with the plants but I think they will be ok. I hope for a vigorous growing season next year with all the rest they are getting now.

Just giving an update on how my plants fared. I brought all my plants out of dormancy after they spent 3 months in the fridge. The Darlingtonia grew for a couple weeks and then died. Two of my Drosera intermedia pots died but I have two more that are making a very slow recovery. One of my Drosera capillaris "died" so I planted a vft bulb in the pot and now I have a young vft and 2 very small Drosera capillaris growing lol. Um... Oh, my Dente vft died after I brought it out of dormancy but all my other vft are doing great.
My Sarracenia purpurea did very well and one of the 3 actually bloomed. One of my vft (bought at lowes so hasn't had dormancy yet) flowered and I pollinated 2 flowers and am about to have some seeds. My Drosera filiformis (forgot what kind because I bought two types and one died while the other survived dormancy) but it is "flowering". The flowers are there but they didn't open. My Drosera capillaris is flowering too but the flowers aren't opening either.

I was bummed about the Darlingtonia but I have 2 seedlings that MIGHT survive. All my other Darlingtonia seedlings died but I'm hoping the two that are still alive are stronger.

Back