What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to deal with Wistuba plants?

Better yet, if you are worried about sterility make some vaccine yourself...............

Many of the steps are laborious, but educational.

Well stated pokie.

Vaccines are when you get the virus injected into your body so that your immune system can (hopefully) ward it off and develop anti-bodies to it, so that you will not get it again. You could argue that the vaccine could be more dangerous if it was just the virus, but in most vaccines, they weaken (I have no idea how) the virus to make it easier for your immune system to kill.

Flu shot are more dangerous than the flu itself they are made in very unsterile conditions

Then explain how the flu shot doesn't kill anyone while 10's of thousands of people die every year from the flu itself or complications from the flu such as pneumonia

Im sorry if I offended you but it doesn't change the fact that your relative is making a claim without evidence, and if you think its dangerous because they are prepared in unsanitary then you shouldnt eat food from pretty much any fast food place or eat any cheap meat because the food is usually prepared in fairly bad conditions. I think we should probably get back to the topic at hand though, this is about wistuba's plants and not vaccines.

picard-facepalm.jpg

CDC was 0/3 on their choices this year. Chiron and Sanofi currently have the bid (I think). Unless, you pee at the same urinal or play the green with the big pharma boys, I doubt it is accurate. If you like, I can inquire as some of my colleagues sit on their board of directors - I would probably receive incredulous looks... Usually, pharma don't risk on GMP, but on IP stealing from each other.

Viruses are not "alive". However, in the flu shot the virus is usually rendered unable to replicate in a host by something such as a nasty organic - formaldehyde being an example. Of course, this is then chemically extracted and purified before use. There is also a "live" but attenuated aerosolised version , if that is what you are referring to BioZest.

As for acclimating AW plants post-shipment, I think they are pretty hardy so no need for excessive measures but being cautious is a good thing. However, this does depend on what spp one is talking about. I did not perform a trichoderma soak (I had no notion of this at the time) and simply potted them in LFS/perlite/bark with a top dressing of live sphag. I placed them in my terrarium, and essentially waited for magic to happen. The terrarium had been under observation for a week prior, since I have never grown any CPs before. Some loss of pitchers, leaves, and/or perhaps a basal, but no deaths.

CDC was 0/3 on their choices this year. Chiron and Sanofi currently have the bid (I think). Unless, you pee at the same urinal or play the green with the big pharma boys, I doubt it is accurate. If you like, I can inquire as some of my colleagues sit on their board of directors - I would probably receive incredulous looks... Usually, pharma don't risk on GMP, but on IP stealing from each other.

Viruses are not "alive". However, in the flu shot the virus is usually rendered unable to replicate in a host by something such as a nasty organic - formaldehyde being an example. Of course, this is then chemically extracted and purified before use. There is also a "live" but attenuated aerosolised version , if that is what you are referring to BioZest.
...Honestly I don't have the slightest idea what a "attenuated aerosolised version" is:scratch:. I think we should probably get back to dealing with wistuba plants.

As per wistuba plants. I simply treated them like every other plant I've ever recieved. They went in bags, and sat for a while until I took them off.

I recieved them in mid August, and I lost 2/5 of the plants due to fungus or rot or something. The other three are doing well enough.

"attenuated aerosolised version" I believe that is the "flu shot" which is administered up the nose in an aerosol spray. Something new. How did flu shots get attached to Wistuba plants anyway?

As far as Wistuba Neps you really must have excellent conditions to acclimatize them. They are extremely tender and succeptible to dessication & too much lighting compared to plants from Borneo Exotics who's plants are screen house hardened, particular clones that aren't hardy don't survive that hardening process and never makes it out for sale. Wistubas on the other hand are hardened to controlled environment greenhouse conditions after being taken out of invitro so if you don't have really good humidity and lighting conditions (and even if you do) they don't always make it. For instance if the roots have been too dessicated or damaged on their trip from Germany to the US they will slowly decline over a period of a couple months.

I received a nepenthes macrophylla from AW December of last year. it was the size of a dime. I live in Florida and during that month temps were in the 50's so i just pot it and left it outside under a bromeliad and in January i just put it on my window sill with the rest of the nepenthes. I didn't have to do any humidity acclimation. It's on regular house conditions and is doing well :)

What's the average humidity in St Petersburg during the Winter months?

What's the average humidity in St Petersburg during the Winter months?

I honestly don't know, but today we are at 83F and humidity is 54% So I'm pretty sure humidity was way lower than that in December

Back