What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to deal with Wistuba plants?

Api

Happy hour..
Is there a thread out there that describes how to deal with Wistuba/imported Helis and Neps when you first receive them?

Best thing to do is bag them and wait until you see growth.

I saw on your thread that you had Heli soup?

Yeah thats only for helis. I bathed them in trichoderma for a couple hours.

That helps with shock? Thanks.

It prevents pathogenic fungi from taking over the stressed plant.

So its not necessary but helps some? Sorry for so many questions lol

Edit: I looked but didn't see. Thanks amp and Luca.

Last edited:
So its not necessary but helps some? Sorry for so many questions lol

Edit: I looked but didn't see. Thanks amp and Luca.

Kind of like getting a yearly flu shot.

Flu shot are more dangerous than the flu itself they are made in very unsterile conditions

I soak newly arrived plants (Neps and Helis) in tricho+Superthrive soup for a few hours before potting. I prepare the mix in advance to ensure that the media is moist. Pot them up, add a top dressing of live shagnum moss, water lightly and cover with an inverted clear dixie cup with a hole punched in it. I spray the inside of the dixie cup every morning to maintain humidity and remove the cup when I start to see growth (usually a month or two).

Yeah probably some wackjob scientist, there has been no evidence supporting this.

I soak newly arrived plants (Neps and Helis) in tricho+Superthrive soup for a few hours before potting. I prepare the mix in advance to ensure that the media is moist. Pot them up, add a top dressing of live shagnum moss, water lightly and cover with an inverted clear dixie cup with a hole punched in it. I spray the inside of the dixie cup every morning to maintain humidity and remove the cup when I start to see growth (usually a month or two).

Ditto for everything, except I cut the bottom off of a zip-lock bag, fascen it to the pot using a rubber band, and "unzip" it as the weeks go by.

ugh... read da sticky

Anything that goes into people is made under GMP conditions. To retrofit a small lab into a GMP facility and maintain standards to pass inspection, let's just say one could eat off the floor, not that anyone would though. It requires a level of sterility and monitoring that few labs can provide or maintain because it is very costly. I know many labs losing contracts because they fail to maintain these standards. However, in the global economy pharma often outsource production to China, South America, Africa..etc, where contract labs will do the GMP work. If you are referring to that, I would not vouch on how clean those GMP facilities are. As a side note, an aquaitance of mine is the manufacturer of all pregnancy test sold in the US. Althought not GMP rated, his facilities across the boarder and in Africa are cleaner than most labs in the US.

heli i take that very offensivly because that person is in my family

Some of the process may be performed under non-sterile conditions but if the solution is sterile filtered before use, there are few things that get through the 0.2uM filters. Every batch is tested on animals before ever touching people.

Back