What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora minor can be too much red ?

Hi

My helis minor are very, very red since 3-4 weeks or so. I can barely see some green. Its lack of water? Maybe i have too strong lighning? Too cold at night?
Or its normal? Im still newbie with that specie.

Thx for reading !

Hi Maiden,

There are various opinions amongst seasoned Heli growers as to whether totally red Helis are a good thing. I tend to try to reduce the lighting, just a bit, to have some
chlorophyll-based green pigmentation present. The ease to which a particular Heli species turns red is, imho, strongly dependent on specific species genetic tendencies, as well. My H. ciliata, and H. folliculata get completely red very easily with ample lighting, whereas, H. minor, really has to be 'driven' by strong light to get completely red. The frequency of the light also plays a part. My 5000 kelvin bulbs produce more red in my Helis, than the 6500 kelvin bulbs that I used before, at the same wattage.

Hope this helps!

yes thanks a lot !

I think is the very cold nights(8C) warm days(23C) that cause the massive red coloration.
And from my experience, when the plant sometimes dont have enough water, it can be more red.

Im not pretty sure !

But if i found how my minors get that massive red coloration, i will be able to reach the perfect deep red coloration on my pulchella !

Maiden

Last edited:
Thats what i mean... my heli minor are VERY red. Its too red? i mean, my plants have burns ? Or need more water ?

The last pictures is my pulchella akopan, and my minors are more red !!

8525495340_80c9f5f40d.jpg

8524378037_a46854aa7f.jpg

8525493852_2d6fdb08c3.jpg

thanks

That plant looks very healthy. I wouldn't concerned.

Back