What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora question

Hi all! I'm relatively new here/ don't post often, but I've been reading a lot lately. I primarily grow orchids and a few temperate CPs, and the primary reason for joining here was to try to learn as much as I can about creating tanks suitable for highland Neps. My favorite orchids are cloud forest miniatures, primarily from South and Central America. Being in Louisiana, it is extremely hard to get the temps down for those to survive. Thankfully, with the information I've found here and elsewhere, I have somewhat of a solution to that problem.

Like I said, though, I've been reading around here lately (and enjoying all the great pictures of well-grown plants), and I'd like to try my hand at growing Heliamphora species. I've grown Sarracenia, Drosera, Pings, etc easily, and I always have a Nep or two hanging around the greenhouse. I also have experience growing mini orchids in terrariums and feel similar conditions would be conducive for Helis.

I've recently thought another method may work for them, though. A friend of mine makes "grow tubes" similar to the European clay pipe tubes or the Epiweb IIS system, but these use a drip wall cloth material and actively pump water to the top and down the sides. In this version, the top is covered and also has water flowing across it. It would seem like this could be a good spot to try a Heli with a pad of moss between the material and root zone. This should make a sort of humid microclimate and also provide some kind of evaporative cooling as well. I would use a high-powered LED bulb to light the whole thing. Typically humidity here is 60%+ even indoors before the use of humidifiers.

I think this is all I can come up with for now. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? Also, a recommendation of a hardy beginner species would also be appreciated :)

potentially it could work. i've seen some heliamphora species that grow on cliffsides it could possibly work with epiweb--i would love to grow a living wall full of broms, orchids, and heliamphora, but do not have the sufficient funds to pull something like that off.

heterodoxa, minor, and nutans and their hybrids would be best starters to experiment with.

Sounds super! If you make it I will be very interested in pics.

Sounds super! If you make it I will be very interested in pics.

I'll definitely post a thread detailing how it's done, and update it's success/failure! Now off to find a guinea pig Heli :D

would be wise to ask for input during the assembly process, we who grow heliamphora might be able to guide you during the process to help ensure your success...no need to do everything by yourself. :)

would be wise to ask for input during the assembly process, we who grow heliamphora might be able to guide you during the process to help ensure your success...no need to do everything by yourself. :)

Thanks! The tube I was thinking of trying will come pre-made, but all it is essentially is a cylinder covered in water wicking material with an internal aquarium pump and a water storage area. When turned on, the pump brings water to the top and it trickles down on all sides and the top, creating a cylindrical drip wall.

Here is the product I'm referring to:http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/63883-orchids-living-green-walls-planted-pillars.html

I was thinking of mounting it on top with some LFS seeded with live sphagnum. The idea is to closely re-create the native environment by having water constantly running at the roots but never sitting there stagnant.

Back