What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I spent several days observing and taking close pictures of a new large pitcher opening. I placed diluted orchid fertilizer into a couple of pitchers in each of three plants three weeks ago and this pitcher just exploded in size reaching 1.5 inches so far. The plant itself is the smaller of the three with the largest pitchers being about 1/2 inch in length. Yesterday I was surprised to see so much nectar covering the peristome so I took this picture. Now I am documenting the coloring up of the peristome ribs, I found the perfect distance from the lights that would produce green pitchers with crimson peristome ribs leaving the rest of the peristome green. Looks like a happy plant to me.
388190_576148449077499_84903438_n.jpg

:-O Looks happy to me too!

Looks like your Ceph has a sweet-tooth for orchid fertilizer! Thanks for sharing!

Mine do this to, randomly. The nectar really enhances the color of the peristome ribs nicely. Mine have vibrant red teeth, red along the lower edge between the teeth, and orange fading to green as it nears the opening. The nectar really brings out the contrast. I like how it magnifies everything, too.

my czech giant does that a lot..

IMG_9.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

Whoa, very nice pictures. Looks so juicy!

Awesome shots!

The juicy pitcher in the original post has finally topped out at 1 5/8" and this is supposed to be the typical form. A month earlier I put some orchid fertilizer into one pitcher of each of the three plants in the pot and then poured it out so I could try the stinky fish emulsion so I'm not sure which one lit the fuse. I'm betting the fish stuff is probably a safe though smelly alternative that did the job. There are two more pitchers coming on fast and I have no doubt they will reach the same size. I want to separate the plants into their own puts but hate to interfere with the show they are putting on. Maybe when I put them in rest mode next winter would be a good time to do it.

Back