What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. nutans aquaplaning research paper

Interesting, Butch, but painfully behind the times. Now with waxing, "superhydrophilic hairy surface" are all but unheard of out here in the West -- aside from a "landing strip" or two; the 1970s retro appearance of H. minor var. pilosa not withstanding . . .

hehehe, if you show me a heli with a thong, im outta here :p

Nice :) You'll find an article by the same authors on a similar mechanism in Nepenthes which I've read before, and is very interesting as well. If you enjoyed this article, you'll really enjoy their other paper too ;)

(citation # 19: Bohn HF, Federle W. 2004 Insect aquaplaning: Nepenthes pitcher plants capture prey with the peristome, a fully wettable water-lubricated anisotropic surface. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101, 14 138–14 143. (doi:10.1073/pnas.0405885101) )

Cool article! I love constantly learning about CPs :)

hehehe, if you show me a heli with a thong, im outta here :p

I have some chiffon left over from one of my college classes and a H. minor. Wait, that sounds horrible!

Back