What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Received Sarracenia rhizomes

Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

I'm very hesitant to buy new plants in the winter which is why I rarely do. This was a sale given by a particularly excellent seller in California and I really didn't want to let it pass.

I'm also very hesitant to put them outside in the winters here. I seem to get a lot of different opinions from people; and some of those from this group have me second-guessing whether I want to try this. I live in Nebraska, and it gets FAREEZING here....frozen solid ground, nights falling below 0 degrees F weeks in a row. It scares me. Perhaps I'll stick to my fridge method after hearing some of the feedback here.

Now that I know where you live:
You should not attempt to overwinter VFTs or Sarrs outside..ever.
your climate is WAY too cold..don't even consider it.

Scot

I just bought some plants from a member on another forum. Finally got my rosea coming and had the same questions about potting. Thanks for the advise. I will pot and place them outside with my other Sarrs that are sleeping.

Sarracenia dormancy is a natural process that occurs due to reduced photoperiod and temperatures. You could pot them up, bag them up and put them in your cool garage (or any place that would not freeze solid for days such as crawl space or greenhouse) in the dark and they would be fine as long as the media stays a little moist, which it would most likely from the closed condition humidity. Sarracenia do not need light in winter, especially if already dormant but they need plenty of cold (however not frozen solid for days) and plenty of direct light in spring, summer, and fall. Take em out, place them in full sun in the spring and should be fine. If potted, place pot in bowl of water and never let the soil dry using the tray method or even better build a bog garden and go crazy with Sarracenia once spring arrives. In your conditions would suggest mulching.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have an attached garage, so the garage itself freezes along with the rest of the outside world for me. A garage would be almost as bad as the outside.

I have had great luck with refrigerators (in fact, I have one specifically dedicated to my plants). I check them every so often, make sure they have water, and spray them with a sulfur-based fungicide if I see any growth (though I usually trim everything back completely in the fall). The sarrs and vfts have been powerhouses for me every spring. So I guess I'll just stick to what I know works.

Outside is too scary. I have quite an expensive collection going on here and would rather stick to what I know. :)

Unfortunately I don't have an attached garage, so the garage itself freezes along with the rest of the outside world for me. A garage would be almost as bad as the outside.

I have had great luck with refrigerators (in fact, I have one specifically dedicated to my plants). I check them every so often, make sure they have water, and spray them with a sulfur-based fungicide if I see any growth (though I usually trim everything back completely in the fall). The sarrs and vfts have been powerhouses for me every spring. So I guess I'll just stick to what I know works.

Outside is too scary. I have quite an expensive collection going on here and would rather stick to what I know. :)

Sweet! Refrigerators always a bonus.

Posted here are a few snapshots of some of the plants I received in that rhizome sale last year. Most will be leucophylla types and alata types, but all will be nice plants.

You can see the blue pools full of them, over 100 plants in all:
20120922-092807.jpg

Back