What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An adventure in Sarracenia growing

Fish n Plants

Totally clueless...
Hey there,

I haven't been as active as I would like, but I've been busy making my Sarracenia seed growing chamber/box/thingy. :-D All of these seeds have come from generous members of TF, specifically Not a Number, joossa, and Millipede. :hail: Thanks you guys so much! This is my first time attempting to grow Sarracenia from seed, and some of them were left in the fridge a little longer than what is recommended... I hope at least some germinate! Anyways, on to the pics:

Seeds sown 1/9/2013
DSCN6458.JPG

My ultra-ghetto light reflecting thing
DSCN6459.JPG

Thanks for looking and any advice is appreciated!

Good luck! And be sure to keep us posted with updates and pictures of the cute little pitchers!

Nice setup. I hope they grow for you. Good luck with them.

That Ultra ghetto reflect light thingy puts my Ultra ghetto light reflect thingy to shame.

Looks pretty good. I wish I could grow inside. Good luck!

hope they grow for you and look forward to some updates

Looks good!:-D

Thanks guys! Still no germination, maybe I need to increase temperature or humidity?

Nah, I would wait longer. They can take longer to germ so I don't think you should be worried. Where'd you get that light?

All right then, I guess I'm just getting impatient XD.

I got that light with my fish tank, but it's basically a regular flourescent light with a plastic cover.

Patience young padawan, patience.

Yeah, pics soon! Ultra ultra ghetto I promise!

You guys have inspired me. I feel inspired. I am going to make a super ultra ghetto reflector thingy for my own plants and seeds. :p. Thanks guys XP.

Haha awesome! I'm sure with a little more work and attention to details it could look a little less ghetto :-)). Good luck!

It looks like I'm starting to get a little bit of algae on the surface. Any easy (and cheap) solutions?

I just take out that thin layer of soil and add new soil when algae appears.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that with seeds... :scratch:

Oh yeah! LOL! Forgot you were using seeds, thought you had seedlings already, my bad. Just spray it down with water, rub it off with your finger on the areas you can, I guess?

Don't think the algae will hurt them.

Back