What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill Cephalotus

I was talking with a couple of CP experts, and they told me that a Cephalotus can grow as a tropical houseplant on a windowsill. Although I was skeptical I decided to give it a try.

This past year I moved one of my Cephalotus from the tenthouse to the kitchen windowsill, which faces the East. I monitor the humidity levels, and though they are low most of the time, this bugger really took off!

Just before transplanting in May 2012 (3" pot)
Ceph%20in%20May.jpg

January 2013, growing in a 6" pot
cephalotus_winter13.jpg

So, needless to say, the experts were correct, Cephalotus can grow on your windowsill.

I have to say though, in the first picture the pitcher has a lot nicer color. The plant probably enjoyed those conditions better.

Looks good to me. You must have divided it because there are muliple growth points.

I haven't divided it yet, the additional growth points developed over the summer.

As for the color, these are all newer, young pitchers. The colorful ones in May have since died back.

Since the temp on the sill is cooler during the day, and colder at night, the growth has slowed to next to nothing. The plant is getting about 3 hours of direct light, and 7 hours of indirect light. and the pitchers are looking fuzzier than they do in the summer.

They're dormant, which will actually prolong the life of the plant. They're warm temperates, not true tropicals, so your windowsill growing is actually very healthy for the plant. I have mine in a basement with a light over it set for 8 hours.

I've heard very often that this works well, but I have never tried it. I think I will go for it this summer though. That ceph is a monster.

Yep, Wireman

I was told that my growing environment would replicate the Cephs natural environment, with the exception of my lack of humidity.
They appear to be dormant now, and I would not expect to see any new activity for the next 3 months.

BioZest

I'm using a double potting system. The larger ceramic pot helps deflect the heat from the sun, keeping the roots cool, and any extra runoff water that collects in the inside of the pot also adds a slight bit of humidity as it evaporates. The green plastic pot typically does not sit in standing water.

They don't need a lot of humidity to grow, so you have perfect conditions right now. I bet you'd be able to grow Drosophyllum like a pro in your area.

I grow mine on my windowsill: south facing, humidity 40% day to maybe 70% night sometimes, temps whatever the bay area gives me. Turns nice and purple and seems to be loving it!

Nice roxorboxor!

You get more Direct light than mine! During the summer, they get about 5 hours of direct sun.

Since the temp on the sill is cooler during the day, and colder at night, the growth has slowed to next to nothing. The plant is getting about 3 hours of direct light, and 7 hours of indirect light.
Given the conditions & the size of the plant, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more stalks come up when spring rolls around.

Back