What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dormancy of sarracenia

Hey everybody,
About 7 weeks ago I put my Sarracenia's into dormancy. They are in my basement with minimal light, temps at 50 degrees f., and soil just moist. Most of them have started sending up flower stalks early and I still have about 2 months of freezing weather up here. I do have an area where I grow my sundews and neps that stays at 70 degrees and has 8 48" t5 bulbs that are on for 14 hours a day. Is it safe to more them there, let them flower and pollinatethem this early?
Thanks, John

A few of mine did the same and they are in my garage under way cooler conditions. I suspect it was either due to the warm patches I experienced here in December or that some of them went dormant a little too early due to the extended 100+ degree days I had in the summer. I am not an expert though, but this is the earliest I have had flower stalks come up in the 5 years I have been growing them.

Back