What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

one of the new pitcher on my ceph is turning black.

*pix added* one of the new pitcher on my ceph is turning black.

so I took a look at my ceph like everyday. and noticed one of new pitcher's lid is turning black. rot maybe? should i cut it off? if so where at? right at the pitcher or close to the "trunk"?

Last edited:
Picture? Can't diagnose the problem without a pic :/.

been trying to take some pix, but the camera is just not good enough. if sun is out tomorrow, i'll try again.

discussed it with very generous person who shared this with me. it's supposed to be normal. so i won't worry about it :)

discussed it with very generous person who shared this with me. it's supposed to be normal. so i won't worry about it :)

Like others have said, Photos please!

If the pitcher went from green, to yellow, then brown to black, and the growth point isn't brown or black, then it is possible that the pitcher has just aged and died. Then yes, carefully cut it off.

But if we don't have a photo, and it's something else, my words are useless tripe.

Photos Please!

pix will be uploaded tomorrow. just been too busy today. the edge of one of the new pitcher looks black, but not too worried. got it from someone who's been growing cephs for 30 yrs. he says it's fine.

here are the pix. it's the tiny new pitcher that's coming out. you can see the misshapen lid that is sort of black/grey around the edge of the lid.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

Looks like physical damage to me... maybe some bug has had a chew at it?

maybe it was damaged during the shipping. haven't seen any bugs. then again.. i have about 40 figs cuttings growing in this room. might be something hiding in the rooting bin that i'm using.

New pitchers growing out shouldn't normally be turning black. Considering this is a new plant its probably damage from shipping, or the change in growing conditions. Keep it as normal and watch for new growth. If new growth starts to have the same problem then its time to figure out whats going on. For now I wouldn't worry about it, the plant looks to be nice and healthy otherwise.

there are two fuzzy things that's coming up from the center of crown. i assume they are going to be either new leaves or pitchers. will wait and see how they look.

Back