What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph Hummer Giant leaf pulling strike

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
This is the first strike from the ceph leaf pullings I planted in December and thought I would share. Last year it took much longer for results, so surprised when I saw this one today.

8439445105_7a58663dfe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8439445103_6c6a52d08d.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8440536676_646617c8f2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Congratulations. Always nice to have things turn out earlier than you expected with CPs. :)

hey awesome! congrats..

that is quick in my limited experience,any idea why so quick,warmer or brighter?

that is quick in my limited experience,any idea why so quick,warmer or brighter?

I really don't know what made the difference this time other than the fact last year I took leaf/pitcher pullings in late spring/early summer and this year in December. Both times I planted in LFS in a shallow open tray 10 to 12" under a shop light under normal household conditions, no humidity dome. I also planted a few in soil last year and it took about the same amount of time as the ones in LFS...months. I am thinking now maybe the time of year makes a difference?

thanks for your reply,i took some in December too:-D a couple are showing signs of life,but was not the best leafs ,not too much of leaf base so fingers crossed

leaf pulling. i might have to do some next winter :) those pix look wonderful :)

really nice and really fast , ive still got hopes for my pullings started in nov x dec but nothing yet.
congrats.

Well done! The faster response could have to do with the growth state (semi-dormant?) of the parent plant, its health, the day length, or some other factor. If you can reproduce the results with certainty, you may have identified a seasonal propagation tip!

Well done! The faster response could have to do with the growth state (semi-dormant?) of the parent plant, its health, the day length, or some other factor. If you can reproduce the results with certainty, you may have identified a seasonal propagation tip!

Thank you all for your comments!

So many variables. The plant was semi-dormant as it was in the cold garage for winter. Also, the leaves were fairly new this time around and I was able to get a fair amount of stalk with the pullings as it was done while the plant was uprooted for dividing, so getting more of the stalk/rhizome with the pulling and using young leaves may play a major role also?

During the division of the mother plant in December, there was a piece that I accidently cut away from the rhizome and so I half-buried that rootless piece in soil with a little LFS around the base, put a dome over the top, set it in the cool garden window with only natural light through the window, and basically ignored it as I thought it would just rot away...and it started showing vigorous growth last month. From this, I think maybe any part of the plant is able to generate growth.

This is a poor pic of that rootless piece it as I took it through the dome:

8441953991_fe985843b1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Haha, never toss or give up on any part of a CP is a lesson I am learning as sarracenia rootless rhizome pieces have produced plantlets for me also.

Those results are very fast in my experience as well. Six months is more of the norm from what I've seen. :banana2:

if you don't mind me asking.. what was the room temp where it was kept?

getting a piece of the rhizome makes a big difference.

Nice pics. I had been wondering about this lately, I have been thinking about this lately. I think I'm going to take a bunch of cuttings of my plant once it matures. I might want them to trade or giveaway. This is really encouraging. thnx:-O

if you don't mind me asking.. what was the room temp where it was kept?

For the leaf pullings night temps 68-70 degrees, day temps 72-75 degrees, humidity around 35 to 50%. They are not in a controlled environment, just normal household conditions.

Nice pics. I had been wondering about this lately, I have been thinking about this lately. I think I'm going to take a bunch of cuttings of my plant once it matures. I might want them to trade or giveaway. This is really encouraging. thnx:-O

Best results come from pulling leaves as opposed to cutting leaves. When you pull the leaf downward, you come away with a little of the stalk and that will give you a better chance at success. Good luck with yours!

A couple of the leaf pulling plantlets from last year as they look now. No color now as my indoor space does not allow to get them closer to the lights, but they are healthy and come spring they will either go in the window as I clear that space or outside in summer to color up.

8446120951_4128645034.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8447207442_c2dae71b9d.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice plant! Hope it does well for you. BTW I know about the leaf pulling technique, but cuttings just came to mind then for some reason...

Back