What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project Cobra

So a few days ago, I got this really great idea. Start a whole Darlingtonia breeding project. Use seed from different locations because there is a lot of variation within the populations. Maybe make some hybrids from those populations and create something really special. Maybe I'll even get lucky and strike upon some cultivars. I am aware of the time it takes for a cobra to go from seed to flowering size and yes, I do have the time. It's a long shot, I know, but this is something I've been dreaming of since I began this hobby. So here we go. Day 1. :grin:

So far, I have seed from the bank of Little Castle Lake, CA, graciously given to me by Pebes. I will be on the lookout for more seed, with location data of course. If you have any, please contact me through PM and I'm sure will be able to work out a trade.

This thread probably won't get updated too often because of the slow nature of these plants, just FYI. So as I said before, here we go. Day One. ;)

Good luck!!

...COBRA Command...

I hope you'll be able to collaborate with other members (or crowdsource): people with tissue culture/in vitro germination experience to start seedlings from seeds/tissue, people with suitable indoor/outdoor spaces for growing seedlings to adults and collecting seeds, etc.

Last edited:
sounds like a pretty cool idea TOG! i once considered trying to gro cobras from seed, but decided aganst it, cause i h methods are eard they were rather finicky plants, but i do still want to try someday. keep us updated on the growth and everything, and whats working best for you, then if i ever want if i ever wanted to give it a shot, this thread could be a good reference/guide! perhaps i could even join the project someday, but for now, im sticking with sarrs.

if i see any seeds w/location data out there on the web, ill be sure to let you know via PM!

sounds like a pretty cool idea TOG! i once considered trying to gro cobras from seed, but decided aganst it, cause i h methods are eard they were rather finicky plants, but i do still want to try someday. keep us updated on the growth and everything, and whats working best for you, then if i ever want if i ever wanted to give it a shot, this thread could be a good reference/guide! perhaps i could even join the project someday, but for now, im sticking with sarrs.

if i see any seeds w/location data out there on the web, ill be sure to let you know via PM!

Maybe you'll be the one to breed a S. psittacina hybrid that resembles a "fangless" Darlingtonia with the "twisting posture" :awesome:

Nah, I don't really believe in TC, I prefer mother natures method of germinating seed. Plain old soil and water is the way to go for me. :)

I have seeds, would you be willing to set up a trade, I'd love to help but I'd also like to see my growlist 'grow' a little you know.

What a great idea TOG! Please keep us up to date with your progress. Even though it may be slow, I'm sure we all want to see the results.

Thanks Jeff! It's pretty small scale now but I have no doubt that the project will grow and grow. Maybe in a few years, when it's a bit bigger and more serious, you can visit and check it out. ;)

pm'ed I really thnk you should consider TC so you can speed up the process, otherwise you'll have to wait a very very long time before this is a reality, and you'll lose quite a few plants before they reach maturity.

-Dave

Back