What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating Cephalotus

Vbkid

Getting There...
So a very kind grower in egnladn was kind enough to sell me a few varieties of Cephalotus seed.
While I'm sure ot will take them a bit to make it through customs, I still want to make sure I have everything prepared when they get here.
I've been doing plenty of reading, but want to make sure I have my bases covered.
So, in your professional opinions, what:
Media
Light
Humidity
would you reccomend? Also, most people seem to say cold stratification is about the same as none, so I think I'll forgo it considering they will have been in hte mail and I'm sure plenty cold by the time they arrive!

Also, most people seem to say cold stratification is about the same as none, so I think I'll forgo it considering they will have been in hte mail and I'm sure plenty cold by the time they arrive!

I have germinated and experimented with Cephalotus seed for years and couldn't disagree more; and cold stratification greatly increases success, by easily a third or more, in my experience -- especially important if the age of the seed is unknown. I routinely sow the seed in a 2:1 compost of peat and sand and refrigerate the whole lot in zip-lock bags for six to eight weeks.

I do the same for those in vitro . . .

Last edited:
I'll be interested to find out what type of germination you get with these seeds (my history has been horrible w/ seeds this old).

... so I think I'll forgo it considering they will have been in hte mail and I'm sure plenty cold by the time they arrive!
Big difference between dry storage & actual stratification.

I would still stratify the seeds, but just for a little bit less than usual.

@31drew31 I know :)

@Vbkid::lac:

Follow the instructions on the ICPS web page. I purchased 10 seeds in August 2011 and got 7 plants out of this batch by following those instructions. (They are now almost 2" in diameter!) Yes, cold stratification is likely to be your best bet, IMO.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm glad I asked...now I know I really should cold stratify them! Do I need to be afraid at all my fridge is too cold? Or will it be good as logn as my food isn't frozen solid.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm glad I asked...now I know I really should cold stratify them! Do I need to be afraid at all my fridge is too cold? Or will it be good as logn as my food isn't frozen solid.

Just sow the seed in the pots that you intend to use and place them in zip-lock plastic bags. I have yet to freeze or damage any seed that way . . .

Back