What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia!

Yeah good idea, return to your topic.

Actually I agree you were a bit extreme there Maiden. Airsoft guns are definitely toys, and most can barely shoot their little plastic ball across a room in a straight line. Although there are some stronger ones. I own some, and have shot people and been shot at- some of the "really nice" ones can sting, but in no way are hurtful...

I don't know about the laws in your area, but in mine- if a cat is a a problem on your property, you can catch them and send them off to the pound where they are held for a period of time for the owner to come get them, or they are adopted... Unless they are unadoptable, then of course that bad thing happens. I would definitely prefer that if it were my cat in someone's yard that didn't want it there... they would use some type of scare tactic that will not harm the animal to help deter it from visiting that area.

I feel like the misunderstanding of what an airsoft gun is (probably assuming it is a BB/Pellet gun) is where this came from, hopefully the clarification of it helps put all at ease. Feel free to PM me if any of you have more to say, this thread will be "cleaned" in the near future. =)

Andrew

Sorry to push the topic onto a tangent and to cause offense. I was trying to ironically convey concern for my (in some cases expensive) plants in the face of an uncontrollable force. I wish no harm to my neighbors cats, but I more greatly wish no harm to my plants. Either way, I will shoot no cat with a toy gun: I promise. A non-harmful live trap and relocation to my neighbors car port with a strongy worded letter may be likely though. ;)

Too bad irony is so difficultly conveyed via text. I apologize again, Maiden.

@Fred I do wish to try a plant in a tray, but I feel like need to stock up a bit more. I would hate to destroy one of my only two cobras. When my recirculating set up is working well :S I wish my Lowe's carrid cobras like some others so I could cheaply experiment.

On a different tangent, I really like the recirculating set up and would like to implement it with some of my Sarrs as an experiment. Any thoughts?

Thanks all who have replied, and again, I apologize.

Soap box time: Maiden is obviously a concerned and responsible animal owner, while many are not. If I had an animal (cat, dog, monkey, ox) that was potentially causing problems for my neighbors I would work to alleviate the problem as I am sure Maiden would. This way conflict is avoided and my dear creature comes to no harm. My neighbor, unfortunately is not a good animal steward, leaving me with a dilemma.

/soapbox

I need to find a Complain-About-Your-Neighbor forum, methinks. Thanks again for reading, folks! Back to the plants!

Actually I agree you were a bit extreme there Maiden. Airsoft guns are definitely toys, and most can barely shoot their little plastic ball across a room in a straight line. Although there are some stronger ones. I own some, and have shot people and been shot at- some of the "really nice" ones can sting, but in no way are hurtful...

I don't know about the laws in your area, but in mine- if a cat is a a problem on your property, you can catch them and send them off to the pound where they are held for a period of time for the owner to come get them, or they are adopted... Unless they are unadoptable, then of course that bad thing happens. I would definitely prefer that if it were my cat in someone's yard that didn't want it there... they would use some type of scare tactic that will not harm the animal to help deter it from visiting that area.

I feel like the misunderstanding of what an airsoft gun is (probably assuming it is a BB/Pellet gun) is where this came from, hopefully the clarification of it helps put all at ease. Feel free to PM me if any of you have more to say, this thread will be "cleaned" in the near future. =)

Andrew

I understand what you said. And i overreact i agree.

The thing is, i already had a pet who was killed by a "soft air gun". Not a cat, but its the same for me. If you look on walmart website, or even looking pictures on google, you will see that a soft air gun can be very strong. Like you said, better solutions are ahead, and i suggest blocking the plant's area.
Thanks a lot for your time Andrew!

Cbennett4041: :) PM sent !

Love the blissful expression!

Back In Business!

Hey guys,

I've been excited to post again and revive this thread. I just received my new cobras from DJ57 (thanks so much!) This is one of my favorite species to grow, and I really appreciate your generosity...

Here they are:
IMG_1098_zps7ac91bd5.jpg

IMG_1096_zpsb5a31d52.jpg

baby seedlings:
IMG_1093_zps790bb154.jpg

the bigger plant:
IMG_1091_zpsd6b1bb56.jpg

You are more than welcome to post your pics and keep this thread going!

Love the blissful expression!

:-D
gotta stay positive.

> Removed my own post <

null_zps250995a3.jpg

null_zpsd17d5ea3.jpg

null_zps6b23065b.jpg

finally thriving. that's about two years of sphagnum growth and they love it.

sweet! They look great nestled in that gorgeous sphagnum. Do you grow these outside year round?

finally thriving. that's about two years of sphagnum growth and they love it.

Nice sphagnum growth, no wonder they're happy.:cool:

sweet! They look great nestled in that gorgeous sphagnum. Do you grow these outside year round?
Yup, they're outside year round. in the summer i keep the water level in the saucer higher and top water everyday. in the winter the sphagnum stops growing and turns yellow/brown but perks right up when the temps come up again. I've sprayed the whole thing with a weak maxsea fertilizer solution every few months to encourage the sphagnum. there are about 50 seedlings buried in the sphagnum. I'm not sure if they'll make it but if they do that pot will be brimming with cobras in a couple of years.

Has anyone grown these plants in TC? That would be pretty cool.

Tc its a baby food jar for a reference

Back