What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden issue with cephalotus watering methods

Yeah, I know moving it around isn't good... But I have to in order to find what it likes. <<

I have put it into my nep tank for now... Tried it get it as far away from the lights as possible until It adjusts. I took a small baking pan, filled it with a layer of rinsed pea pebbles, stood the pots on that, then put just enough water in to cover the bottom rim. At, some point I will need a larger tank to do this properly as it is a little tight.

Sound better? I do agree that this is a bog plant but I think the reason I never trayed is because back when I first got it everything I found told me to not do that. But clearly top watering isn't working for me too well. How long should I wait to refill the trays?

Regarding the soil mix. Actually, yes, I read that yesterday as a matter of fact. I don't much want to mess with the soil right now, but if I can get them growing better I would like to play around with it a bit. I don't have anywhere that sells medium or course perlite; best I have is Fertalome from a garden center. The coir and wood charcoal I have never seen anywhere. I am planning on going out in a bit so maybe I can stop by and see if Home Depot has charcoal. I assume hardwood charcoal? My nepenthes is actually in an orchid mix with LFS added and seems to love it.

New setup for scrutinizing:
IMAG0561_zps87f060d5.jpg

IMAG0560_zps610cd240.jpg

Thanks all for the inputs. :)

Last edited:
Whim: WOaw ! One of the nicest ceph i ever seen ! Nice job! The center look compact, the fresh air reach that area? Or you will need to make some divisions for aeration?

For myself, i grow my ceph in a highland terra (16C nights / 24C days) with 85% RH.
And i water from the top once a month.

Gigantea: nice cephs too, indeed :)

Heres what mine looked like before they lost a bunch of stuff:
IMAG0343_zps5b867b06.jpg

IMAG0338_zps35430c45.jpg

IMAG0339_zpse067053e.jpg

Easier to see the difference, eh?

Back