What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Sarracenia story

Well ive been a member on the forum for a while and have never really posted much. I thought id show my flavas and leucophylla (i have vfts and a lowes purp too) and how i got them.

Last summer i went to the Francis Marion national forest in SC because i was already at the beach. I asked the front office and got a permit to take a couple sarracenia flavas straight from the wild! sweet. It took forever to find them but when I did....
0612121303.jpg

these are some MASSIVE pitcher plants. The biggest of them would be shoulder height on me (im 6'1''). I got some of the smaller ones like this one.
06121213001.jpg

I brought them home and got em set up
0615121827.jpg

they browned a bit from stress. they appear to be var. maximas but with some veining. they all looked the exact same.

When the seed pods dried up i gave most of the seeds to a horticulturist from my church and he gave me this beauty
0622122014.jpg

its a tarnok leuco (so no seeds for me)

here they are together
0622122032.jpg

so what do you guys think?? ill post some current pics of them tomorrow to show their new spring growth

Interesting plants, but if the flavas have any veining they should be classed in the type variety, as they can only be maxima if there is no veining at all. If they were really that large, though (shoulder height on a 6' person), then this may very well be worthy of a giant status.

Interesting plants, but if the flavas have any veining they should be classed in the type variety, as they can only be maxima if there is no veining at all. If they were really that large, though (shoulder height on a 6' person), then this may very well be worthy of a giant status.

yea im not sure of the variant. i was just describing how it looks. they look just like maximas but with veins. so whatever hybrid that may be. But seriously they were truly MASSIVE, they probably have some competition in those clumps and the taller ones are more likely to survive. These flavas were pretty pure though because they all looked the same

I can understand them being that big. When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC, there was a lake on the post where Flava's grew into the water in a lakeside sphagnum bog. You literally had to wade out almost 3 feet to get to them and if you pulled one up, the rhizomes were massive and very heavy. The pitchers themselves were close to 4 feet tall with mouths approximately 6 to 8 inches wide. That was back in the early 70's. Sadly, I went back last year and because someone found a Red Cockaded Woodpeckers nest in the area, they let it grow up and for good measure they also drained the lake which killed off the lakeside bog and the plants. To make it even worse, there was a hillside seepage bog there as well with Rubra, other varieties of Flava and a literal cushion of Purp Venosa. Not a one was left. So sad to see it like that after almost 40 years.

that sucks, luckily the ones i saw were in a national forest, so they should be safe. There were supposed to be sarracenia minors too but i could never find them... Unlike most carnivorous plants the flavas were thriving in very rich soil. Dark brown swamp muk, which im sure had plenty of nutrients. i bet these could grow in a garden along with regular plants if they were wet enough, cuz they lived submerged.

Ok so here are my plants as they sit today. The flavas are comin up nicely
a>

here are some flava seedlings that are coming up
a>

a>

and here are the leucos. still on their way
a>

Here's a sarracenia "lady bug" that i just got today!
a>

a>

a>

and a venus flytrap i bought today. Any idea as to what type?
a>
a>

and a little sundew that came with the lady bug. i think its a spatulata.
a>

Oh! I like the hood on the Lady Bug!!

very nice pics!

Oh! I like the hood on the Lady Bug!!

Thanks! they may be my new favorite. the purps (yet to emerge, squirrels keep busting the pitchers) are just short, the flavas are just tall, and the leucos are just white haha. not that they are any less cool.

The sundew looks like a Drosera rotundifolia and the flytrap looks like a normal one.
A local horticulturist from your church gave you a Sarracenia leucophylla "Tarnok" after you gave him some Sarracenia flava seeds? Oh, how kind people are. We need more people like you two in the world.

The sundew looks like a Drosera rotundifolia and the flytrap looks like a normal one.
A local horticulturist from your church gave you a Sarracenia leucophylla "Tarnok" after you gave him some Sarracenia flava seeds? Oh, how kind people are. We need more people like you two in the world.

why thank you haha. would a rotundifolia be fine outside here in SC? its getting about 3 hours of direct sun i think.

Back