What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia wrigleyana care

Wow this cultivar is beautiful! I'm a beginner in cp's and I'm looking for a sarra I can keep on my windowsill. My research indicates that the low lying Sandra's may work well for this purpose, how about wrigleyana?

Yep it would be good for a windowsill.

S.x wriglyana is a the name for any hybrid between leucophylla and psittacina.

S.x 'Scarlet Belle' is a specific cultivar of this hybrid.

Thanks for the info Alexis! Not only am I new to carnivorous plants but I just started collecting plants in general about 6 months ago and have been wondering about how the naming system works. So is wrigleyana the species name? What about all of these 'varieties' and 'subspecies'? I don't even know what keyword to use to search for info on this subject!

Won't it need a dormancy period and more direct sunlight?

S. x wrigleyana is not a species, but a hybrid of 2 species, Sarracenia leucophylla and S. psittacina. It will still need at least 6-8 hours of direct, full sunlight a day to do well, and does need a cold dormancy in winter.
The different varieties of this hybrid are not official varieties, but either cultivars or special crosses. Actual varieties are different color forms, like S. flava rubricorpora or var. rugellii, subspecies are like S. rubra subsp. gulfensis or rubra wherryi.

I live in upstate ny. For dormancy would just the lower apartment temps in winter do the trick? If not I have an unheated back room I could stick it in, or I could wrap it up and put it outside.

Cold dormancy meaning temps of 30-45 F for at least 3 months. And the plant still has to be kept damp.

I've heard a few success stories of sarrs being grown indoors, but they are most commonly grown outdoors. So if you have a porch or something, you'd probably have more success that way. And as for dormancy, I put my sarrs and flytraps in the fridge around Thanksgiving, and bring them out around Valentine's day, depending on the temps. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info Alexis! Not only am I new to carnivorous plants but I just started collecting plants in general about 6 months ago and have been wondering about how the naming system works. So is wrigleyana the species name? What about all of these 'varieties' and 'subspecies'? I don't even know what keyword to use to search for info on this subject!

Hi. 'The Savage Garden' by Peter D'Amato is a good introductory book.

Back