What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foliar Fertilizer for Darlingtonia

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
I have many Darlingtonia seedlings and one larger one and was thinking about spraying diluted orchid fertilizer (Better-Gro) n them as a foliar feed. While I am at it, I thoughtabout trying it with some Sarrs and maybe even a Dionae or two.

Advisable?

Interesting article about fertilizer in the soil. Thanks for that link.

I still wonder about the foliar feeding.

...From what I remember briefly reading, Dionaea + any type of fertilizer = big no no?

Oddly, when I applied water-soluble Miracle-Gro to my plants' water tray (after being extremely diluted, of course), only my typical Venus flytrap experienced negative effects; all the other plants grew impressively for a short period of time. I would say that it probably is just inherited genetics, but don't take my word for it. Carry out an experiment, a massive one if you wish, and then report back to us here at the forum. This is not a command. This is not a command.

As for applying fertilizer to the plant's leaves, I don't know.

I have many Darlingtonia seedlings and one larger one and was thinking about spraying diluted orchid fertilizer (Better-Gro) n them as a foliar feed. While I am at it, I thoughtabout trying it with some Sarrs and maybe even a Dionae or two.

Advisable?

Is that pitcher big enough to squirt some dilute fertiliser in it? I did it years ago with seedling Darlingtonia, Sarracenia and young Cephalotus from leaf cuttings. Always in the pitcher not on the outside.
Hypodermic needle and syringes kits I get free from the Chemist ( EDIT: Pharmacist :clap:), after a lecture on AIDS and sharing needles, even though they know I use them on plants.:nono: :0o: Thank you NHS :D

I've already fertilized my Darlingtonia a few times this season with both coffee and a dilute urea-free orchid fertilizer as a soil drench. Only side-effect was a quick and pronounced increase in pitcher production.

I've already fertilized my Darlingtonia a few times this season with both coffee and a dilute urea-free orchid fertilizer as a soil drench. Only side-effect was a quick and pronounced increase in pitcher production.

Did you have a plant that you didn't fertilise as a control to monitor differences?

They are too small to fill with fertilizer, which is a bummer considering this is the most natural approach. Patience, eh?

I might try an experiment, PP. Fred and Mato are encouraging me some, too, to this end.

Last edited:
Did you have a plant that you didn't fertilise as a control to monitor differences?

No, it wasn't really something I was experimenting with. I just wanted to make the point that light fertilization will not ultimately harm the plants, as long as proper "flushing" is performed from time to time.

^ The article I linked touches on this. He foliar fed with a high nitrogen fertilizer but made sure to flush it out before foliar feeding again.

PlantPlanter: Surprising results! I may have to try it with my Dionaea. Currently doing some leaf pullings so I may try a small experiment in the coming months.

No, it wasn't really something I was experimenting with. I just wanted to make the point that light fertilization will not ultimately harm the plants, as long as proper "flushing" is performed from time to time.

I simply ask because if I water my plants with rainwater several times in spring I find I get a sudden profound increase in pitcher production on my Darlingtonia :jester:
But seriously, without a control plant/s any observation is anecdotal.

Back