What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora Growers I need your help... URGENTLY!!!

Hello once again TF mems, I recently bought a heliamphora minor. I've had it for a month, barely and it's struggling for its life!!! I received it in 100% sphagnum moss, but ever since I received it leaves started to turn brown. I'm keeping it in a terrarium with a glass top. Not sure what the exact humidity is: but water drops form on the glass cover. (today) suspecting it didn't like the media,I repotted it into 50% coarse bark and perlite mix and 50%lfs mix. I feel like a big failure right now. I put powdered trichoderma around the root ball when I repotted it. Can you help me please!!! I'll post pics soon!

I don't think it is although it usually stays around room temp(small 5 gal terrarium or so...). Should I put ice cubes in the terrarium?

Helis do appreciate some humid, cool air flow. They don't do well in stagnant conditions

mine are potted in 50/50 perlite/chopped long fibered sphagnum, idk about the bark thing. But my temps are pretty much 72F year round maybe down to 68 or so and max of 75F but no temp fluxes and very little airflow. I've just got them sitting on eggcrate above a pool of water with a pond fogger in the water. Best of luck to you!

Thanks guys:D I feel more calm now. Do you guys suppose opening the glass top would help a bit more?

Also would they appreciate RO ice cubes?

Ice cubes aren't needed..what is needed is more light from the looks of things...

The plant does not appear to be on the verge of death IMO. Perhaps it is adjusting to your growing conditions. My helis lost a few pitchers (plus I did some surgery), but there was new growth within 2 weeks on most of them. The ones that received surgery have just put out new pitchers now at about 5 weeks. All of mine have been bagged for over a month now, and are slowly being weened off. I do water with cold RO water every 2-3 days. I have been force feeding all the pitchers biweekly with a 1/3X maxsea or koi pellets. I do a trichoderma flowerable drench biweekly as well. My temperature is 50/70F. From the picture, your lighting might be on the weak side.

If it does not behave, you can always threaten the little one..
:-D

BTW I took off most of the browned pitchers:/

It had WAY more pitchers before this pic:(

I agree they don't look like they're dying or anything. Most plants will look a little haggard for at least a few weeks after shipment and repotting; you just need to give them time and space to bounce back from all that stress. They would probably appreciate cooler air temps at night, but so far they look ok.

Thanks very much guys!!! It makes me feel a lot better to know that I have a chance at growing one successfully!

The plant does not appear to be on the verge of death IMO...

I agree they don't look like they're dying or anything. Most plants will look a little haggard for at least a few weeks after shipment and repotting; you just need to give them time and space to bounce back from all that stress...

I agree. You plant actually looks okay. It might have had more pitchers before, but you need to keep in mind that Heliamphora generally are slow growers, with a few exceptions like Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. It also can take a while for plants to adjust to your growing conditions.

Not to sound like a broken record but I also agree- that Heli looks great. They take a little while to adjust. Just watch for new growth. Once they start popping out new pitchers you know you are golden. Pitcher drop is normal with transport. Good humidity will help but I have yet to get a heli in the mail that did not drop a few pitchers. They always spring back.

If it does not behave, you can always threaten the little one.. :-D

Mommy, the fuzzy lil pink and white teddy bear/guinea pig animal lady scares meeeeeee

Don't be scared Butchie, David will chase her away........

I too, am unsure of what she is. I went to pull her out of you know where, and gave her tush an lookie. No such luck, unless "made in china" is a new species.

I think it could possibly a hamster... Hm. I think the Chinese must be performing some secret rodent hybridizing.

The heli doesn't look too bad. I had one before and lost it so not sure what advice to offer other than. A.) Don't bake it. And b.) Don't overwater it. Too much water actually seems to be worse.

Back