What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora...what a difference light can make...

I have a hardened H. minor, that grows happily outside of a terrarium and without any special humidity or temperature control. I have been growing it on a windowsill and last time I repotted I took a division off it and put it under one of my lamps, on my open grow shelf.

Here's a comparison:

Windowsill grown
qmy5lCK.jpg

Grown under lamp
ylDwEKV.jpg

urBJSLM.jpg

vAMCuGo.jpg

HRhlojK.jpg

It's like getting a tan. More light is better.

till you are diagnosed with melanoma :lol:

plants looks awesome :D i like both the green version and the colored up one. awesome in their own ways :)

Carl,

Beautiful examples as always mate... what kind of light did you use?

Butch

Thanks for the comments :)

Carl,

Beautiful examples as always mate... what kind of light did you use?

Butch
Hi Butch,

I used what a member in another forum refers to as 'disco lights' :D It's a combined red, blue and white LED lamp.

Oh, I didn't think think LEDs were sufficient as primary lighting. :O

Oh, I didn't think think LEDs were sufficient as primary lighting. :O
If you supply enough wattage they are. 15W or LED is quite pokey, as it can be focused onto the plant. As most of the light is also in the photosynthetic band, it is actually much brighter to the plant than a 15W fluorescent light.

They are punchy, yes. I've seen the big 300w ones before that cost a fortune but didn't think the smaller ones were as useful. May be what I need to reduce heat. Thanks.

Back