What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hummers giant cuttings, + plant update.

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Just thought I would show you a couple HG cuttings I just potted up today.
Leaf/Pitcher. Just took a couple weeks. This is when I like to pot them up.
The roots get too long and they brake easily!
The other pictures are one HG plant I have that is still in a growth spurt.
I just replaced a T-5 bulb so it should color up more in time. I didn't realize one was out.
This time of year it's just getting too hot so they will be staying in the basement.
Jeff

s7u9.jpg

flj9.jpg

x5z7.jpg

x2v.jpg

4ain.jpg

txeu.jpg

Very impressive growth in just a few weeks! Do you use fertilizer or rooting hormone to get such explosive growth?

I think I'm wrong there. I took many cuttings and they were not all the same day.
I think a month is closer to being correct on the cuttings.
Dip n grow liquid is what I use with live Sphagnum.
Sorry for the incorrect statement. They just seem to be coming along pretty quick.
I didn't loose any, yet.
Jeff

A month is still impressive IMO. I have a few that are around 4 months that I potted a few days ago and the roots were about the same as yours. I'm taking notes for my next pullings. Thanks for the info.

and cue insta-jealousy..

pitcher cuttings + rooting hormone + LFS + cool & bright = my project for the day.

A month is still impressive IMO. I have a few that are around 4 months that I potted a few days ago and the roots were about the same as yours. I'm taking notes for my next pullings. Thanks for the info.

The two cuttings I showed here were the two that were the furthest along.
Others were half that size. I checked my emails that I had with the man himself "Charles Brewer" about taking my cuttings.
The email I sent to him was on May 20th. I mentioned to him that I just took the cuttings a couple days before, and that was Saturday, May 18th.
I guess I can confidently say now that I took those cuttings on May 18th. Anyways that's still not too bad I guess (36 days) from cutting to planting!
I should have researched my emails first before posting!! I do better at growing than I do at note taking!
I had pretty good luck this time around. I even tried to root the flower spikes.
There all still alive, but they don't seem to be doing anything yet. I don't know if you can root a flower spike?
Never tried it before.

you can root ceph flower stalks..

How do you know when roots are present? Do you just keep checking on the cut end after a few weeks?

and cue insta-jealousy..

pitcher cuttings + rooting hormone + LFS + cool & bright = my project for the day.

I got bit by the bug too! I just moved so I'm trying to let my plants settle in but new growth on my plant is tempting!

A lot of good looking leaves and stuff there to play around with. I dig that media topper too! I have some stuff like that around here. May have to give it a go..

WoW theses roots after only a month ! Its truly stuning ! Well done.

Back