What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I Propagate Cephalotus

Sorry im late, congrats for your sticky thread dj57 ! :-D

I looked at all the video and really like it.
I know you tell it in the video but could you write down here your best media recipe please.
My English is not really good and I would like to try your exact recipe.
Sorry for asking.
Tks

I looked at all the video and really like it.
I know you tell it in the video but could you write down here your best media recipe please.
My English is not really good and I would like to try your exact recipe.
Sorry for asking.
Tks

I have tried several different media's over the years and all with good success. The last year or two I have settled on equal parts peat, perlite and small orchard bark......my second favorite is equal parts peat, perlite and sand.

Thank you very much, I'll try them.

Jerry has definitely made me more inclined to divide asap rather than waiting until the plant gets huge. These things are almost as tough as sarrs minus the cold hardiness. I can't remember losing one ceph division ever.

Wish I could watch this video... I mean, I can but I don't have any sound so it's basically useless. I've tried quite a few times to root ceph "pullings". In constantly moist LFS, under lights, in domes, no domes, in water... result is always the same for me which is leaf death. I don't dare try it with a pitcher. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I suspect I just can't get enough of the base of the leaf. Although once I got it down all the way to the crown so not sure not much farther down I could have gotten it. *shrugs*

CP pullings/cuttings and me don't mix. I seem to have better luck damaging a root so a natural division comes up.

Wish I could watch this video... I mean, I can but I don't have any sound so it's basically useless. I've tried quite a few times to root ceph "pullings". In constantly moist LFS, under lights, in domes, no domes, in water... result is always the same for me which is leaf death. I don't dare try it with a pitcher. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I suspect I just can't get enough of the base of the leaf. Although once I got it down all the way to the crown so not sure not much farther down I could have gotten it. *shrugs*

CP pullings/cuttings and me don't mix. I seem to have better luck damaging a root so a natural division comes up.

I have found cooler conditions and diffuse lighting to prevent dessication of cephalotus leaf pullings. The extra time - and gentler conditions - is normally sufficient for the damaged tissue to induce callus and subsequent root formation.

Currently I have several Ceph vars and a Nep in a ten gallon tank under direct 6500K, 1650L CFL bulbs. I don't exactly have a diffuse light setup though that tank had them on it originally. I just sliced them off in favor of larger bulbs. Temp ranges from 50's at night(air cooler + ice packs) and 75-77 during the day. Which is about the coolest I can provide with what I have.

I think pehaps the leaves I tried were not fresh enough. Thing is I usually cannot get to new leaves to pull or cut them.

This method I found in cpuk works foolproof.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/inde...us-cuttings-pullings-propagation-and-potting/

Even very small pitchers 3 mm high took root in a plastic box under artificial lighting. I used a complete closed box and of course artificial lighting 6500 Kelvin. The only problem was, that Sphagnum grows quite fast under this conditions and I had to take out always some of it while I was checking for roots.
The fastest was three weeks for the first roots at room temperature. The longest more than half a year for some giant form. Even one Trap with a short stump took root. It was cut off no where near the rhizome.
I spray once with some Borax solution 1 ppm. But it worked too without it.

Back