What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I Propagate Cephalotus

How I Propagate Cephalotus Video

I put together a little video for my friends on my methods of propagating Ceph's and thought I would post it here it hopes it might be a source of help for someone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0VbYl2zGbQ

Last edited:
By far the most informative video I've seen on the subject. :hail:

Just goes to show how silly all of the urban legends are regarding this species.
looks like we can dismiss (cephalotus rules of thumb):
1. getting the crown wet = death
2. root disturbance = death
3. pot sitting in water = root rot
4. cephs need high humidity in order to thrive

Jerry, do you feel we could amend #4 to: Ceph pullings need high humidity in order to strike ???

Thank you for the great informative video. I now feel more comfortable doing the leaf pulling technique on my ceph. Thank you!

see.. I always felt comfortable doing it. But lacked the steps I needed to be successful with it.
This vid is exactly what I needed. A descriptive "start-to-finish", "step-by-step", take me by the hand and walk me through it..

By far the most informative video I've seen on the subject. :hail:

Just goes to show how silly all of the urban legends are regarding this species.
looks like we can dismiss (cephalotus rules of thumb):
1. getting the crown wet = death
2. root disturbance = death
3. pot sitting in water = root rot
4. cephs need high humidity in order to thrive

Jerry, do you feel we could amend #4 to: Ceph pullings need high humidity in order to strike ???

Yeah, my vid wasn't real clear on the higher RH for new propagation but that's what I use the grow chambers for shown in the vid......hope that clears it up a bit....thanks for pointing that out Trav.

Good video jrj88! Very nice selection of clones you have there.

I haven't done as much propagating of Cephs as you, but have found them very hardy and really quite easy to grow over the past few years. I always remove as much media as possible when repotting and find if they're healthy they dont skip a beat. I use LFS/perlite, water from above and almost always get the crown wet, but provide ample air flow.

I don't bag my pulls or put under a dome for high humidity, just leave out in the open under a shop light, and they strike near 100%, but maybe takes longer for results that way? The quickest was about 3 weeks (only one pitcher pull) and the longest was almost 4 months. The humidity on the shelf I keep them runs anywhere from 30 to 50% humidity depending on time of year.

Thank you for posting the video Jerry! Your classroom just got more crowded, haha.

I don't bag my pulls or put under a dome for high humidity, just leave out in the open under a shop light, and they strike near 100%, but maybe takes longer for results that way? The quickest was about 3 weeks (only one pitcher pull) and the longest was almost 4 months. The humidity on the shelf I keep them runs anywhere from 30 to 50% humidity depending on time of year.

I do the same Joni most of the time with great results also but for the sake of folks new to these procedures suggest the higher RH for perhaps a little faster and reliable strike time. Hope to see you guys soon.

Awesome video Jerry. Inspired me to do some of my own.

When is the best time? After dormancy, or does it even matter?

Great video! Thanks.

Awesome video Jerry. Inspired me to do some of my own.

When is the best time? After dormancy, or does it even matter?

Thanks JC, my Ceph's have never gone thru a dormancy for over six years as they remain in my house hold environment year round. So, hard for me to answer your question other than I propagate when ever I feel like it year round with the same amount of success.

I only got to watch a bit of this so far, but it looks like a great amount of info and detail! One that is worthy of being "stickied" and thus, it is done.
Thank you sir for your contribution of information to this forum!
Andrew

YAY! Congrats on being stickied Jerr!

I only got to watch a bit of this so far, but it looks like a great amount of info and detail! One that is worthy of being "stickied" and thus, it is done.
Thank you sir for your contribution of information to this forum!
Andrew

Thanks for the kind words Andrew and hope it helps to clear up some of the myths concerning this plant that everyone should be able to cultivate.

Very enlightening!

Thank you very much for this great video.

I currently have some Cephalotus vigerous leaves that I was given which I promptly put into my batch of D. prolifera... this is kept in an open basket full of pure LFS (approx 2" deep)(some of which has come alive from being wet for so long) and constantly kept in water (anywhere from .5" to media level at filling)... From that, I agree that lots of moisture is good for propagation, and honestly, I think I'm going to leave at least one of the plants in there to see how it does! My worst mistake on Cephs? Letting them dry out, just like you say in the video. :-X

Andrew

Whole basket- if you're a good looker you can see the dead/dying leaves and maybe some growth from this photo (I didn't pull back enough LFS/plants to show the whole plants) bottom left, bottom right, and top center.

IMG_4142.JPG

After the above photo, I started digging around and looking and found this super cute stubby pitcher, although a horrible angle to show it :-\

IMG_4141.JPG

I currently have some Cephalotus vigerous leaves that I was given which I promptly put into my batch of D. prolifera... this is kept in an open basket full of pure LFS (approx 2" deep)(some of which has come alive from being wet for so long) and constantly kept in water (anywhere from .5" to media level at filling)... From that, I agree that lots of moisture is good for propagation, and honestly, I think I'm going to leave at least one of the plants in there to see how it does! My worst mistake on Cephs? Letting them dry out, just like you say in the video. :-X

Andrew

Ha! Nice growing and happy the leaves produced for you.

Back