What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus consolidated

Pulled on a dead leaf this morning figuring I would throw it away and

DSC_0059 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

For size reference this was shot on a piece of wide rule paper, those blue lines should look familiar.

Great information RSS! thanks for sharing.

I am also running alittle test thats similar. I repotted one of my cephs and ripped off some of the thin roots in the process. I put them in a shallow dish to see if anything sprouts. Ill report back here. I have has success with thick roots taking, but not the thin ones.....yet.

Ssssssss...... I just threw out a pot FULL of dead leaf cuttings. :( They were nice clones, too.

Another link for "Other" (I finally found it)

http://translate.googleusercontent....220634&usg=ALkJrhifA6BvXmJmqbQvaf_O4U6WnZU0yg

While there checkout the links at the bottom of the page :>}

That is a great site. lots of good info in it. Thanks for sharing. Link added above!

pretty good info about the soil. Reminds me of Av8tors thread about miracle gro.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/123205-those-finicky-cephs-)?highlight=miracle

I still havent tried a pulling in miracle gro yet but it is a test I want to recreate. just need to buy the dirt. I have a few leaves I can spare from my bigger plants. might be my weekend project.

Last edited:
Can't believe I missed the Miracle Grow thread. So much info out there titled so the searches don't find it.

Just added APS and Miracle Grow to my shopping list for the weekend. I can always count on the Emu's to provide me with all the leaves I'll ever want. Oddly the 'Big Boy' clone is doing the same thing for me, leaf overload.

I am testing 9 leaf pulls on the seed starting sponges right now they are just over a month old and only 1 has rotted, I figured I'd lose atleast half within a week. No visible growth yet, but 7 of them still look really healthy.

I have used a mix that was mostly Turface, Perlite, and a little peat. That mix was less than 10% peat. The plants are growing well. As a matter of fact the German Giant picture I posted earlier is growing in this mix.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/135958-German-giant-cephalotus

So they do grow, and look quite happy in a completely inorganic mix. However there are a few things I do not like about the mix, and I believe the results will be the same in APS/Turface. The roots are really long, but very thin and fan like. I have since starting repotting my plants out of this mix because of that reason. If you want those big meaty roots Av8tor has in the miacle gro thread you will need more peat in the mix.

How's the sponge test going? Glad you are going to jump in on the miracle gro with you own tests! Hopefuly we will have similar results.

So they do grow, and look quite happy in a completely inorganic mix. However there are a few things I do not like about the mix, and I believe the results will be the same in APS/Turface. The roots are really long, but very thin and fan like. I have since starting repotting my plants out of this mix because of that reason. If you want those big meaty roots Av8tor has in the miacle gro thread you will need more peat in the mix.

How's the sponge test going? Glad you are going to jump in on the miracle gro with you own tests! Hopefuly we will have similar results.

I'm becoming a big fan of inorganic mixes but you still need a water retention component in there, I think that would fix your thin root problem. I'm still about 1/4th-1/3rd peat in all of my mixes. Still looking for an inorganic peat replacement. But if the MG works I may just have to rethink everything, life would be so much simpler. With some of the odd stuff I've done with Cephs it would not surprise me if it worked just fine. So much information out there is from a few growers many years ago and what they could not get to work got passed down as law.

So far I can't see the sponge leaf pulls doing anything, but for a leaf pull to still be healthy and green after a month I would assume it had rooted.

http://www.sarracenia.com/trips/au032007/im22.html

I wonder what kind of moss that is that the cephs are growing in. If it doesn't add any nutrients to the soil or change the pH in any way, it may benefit those who grow smaller CP's as a soil dressing.

Moss is evil :nono:

Really it is....

To be fair I've never noticed any ill effects from the mosses besides the moss outcompeting the plant and covering it up. I've went to great lengths in the past to remove/kill moss.

The link to the Italian website was great an quite a nice subject read. He also states about clones which is all to correct, an this was written in 2007. So to sum it up stops a lot of arguments and problems.

Would be interesting to speak to the author of the information to see if he still collects an to see if he carried on any further studies on the plants

Another link that might be good to add to the list, its new but in a year or two it will get buried.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...s-article-by-Richard-Nun-Volume-43-March-2014

On a related topic, I've been wanting to start a list of what/when/where/how/why for the Ceph clones that are out there. I think this would be the best place to add it. I have tried to label each name correctly as they should appear on labels please correct me if I've made an error. I have cut and pasted a lot of the information as I believe one of the source websites is no longer being maintained and is only a matter of time before its dead.

I would prefer to leave any clone off the list that we don't have some source information about. "Random X giant - Its 3" big" is not really useful.

So here is all I know...

The three easy ones, these are registered with the ICPS and are the only "recognized" clones. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not there is actually any real difference between any of these clones or any of the unregistered clones. I would prefer not to flood this thread this that discussion, the link above would be a better source for that debate.

Cephalotus follicularis cv. 'Clayton's T Rex' - http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v42n4p145_152.html#rex
Cephalotus follicularis cv. 'Hummer's Giant' - http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n4p116_122.html#hummers
Cephalotus follicularis cv. 'Eden Black' - http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpdb/CPdbDetail.php?cp_id=173546

Cephalotus follicularis "Allen Lowrie" - From the best of my understanding this label simply implies a Ceph that was collected by Allen Lowrie that he believed had some interesting trait at the time of collection. Everything I've read implies that there could be 1-1000 different clones running around with this name.
Cephalotus follicularis "Double Ribbed" - "This plant should develop a second side rib about three quarters of the way down form the top of the mouth of the plant. This feature tends to occur on adult pitchers much more than juvenile pitchers." Source http://thecephalotus.info/html/unusual__clones_.html
Cephalotus follicularis location Emu Point, Albany AU (Also know as Emu Point and/or Emu Point Giant) -
The three "Emu Point" plants that I had provided Dennis Hastings, originated from leaf pulls that had either been grown on compost; or else, developed in vitro from that same tissue, from a single, wild-collected plant, taken legally (for the benefit of the inquisition that occasionally rears its head on TF) from the border of a parkland and cattle-grazing area. Some seed had also been collected; but those plants were never part of that initial shipment. Apparently, there had been some confusion there.

Many of my plants have produced larger than "average" pitchers; though I have still had "typical" plants, from time to time, produce 2.5-3" leaves -- more a function of age and health, in my opinion, than the provenance of any particular cultivar or clone . . .

"I have added this plant as an unusual clone because of the history it was given. This plant was seed grown from a mother plant originating in the Emu point region of southern Australia. It has been said the parent plant produced pitchers as large as three inches. Since this has been seed grown, there in no way to emphatically state this plant will grow up to be a giant also. I will keep this plant updated in a set of images to let you know how it does.

I have since learned from the person I received the plant from, that the pitchers on the seed grown plants get to about 2.5 inches tall." Source http://thecephalotus.info/html/unusual__clones_.html
Cephalotus follicularia "Phil Mann" - From the best of my understanding this label simply implies a Ceph that was collected by Phil Mann that he believed had some interesting trait at the time of collection. Everything I've read implies that there could be 1-1000 different clones running around with this name.
Cephalotus follicularis "Squat" - "The “Squat” pitcher tends to be wider than the typical pitcher giving it a squatter appearance. The smaller pitchers on this plant have the shape of a bullet with a more rounded bottom." Source http://thecephalotus.info/html/unusual__clones_.html
Cephalotus follicularia "vigorous" or "vigorous clumping" -
"I have isolated this particular plant separate from the typical Cephalotus because of its exceptional traits, which I feel are different enough from the typical plants to warrant the special attention.

Please note, these are my personal observations and in no way have any scientific basis other than visual comparison of a limited pool of regular (typical) Cephalotus. There are so many variables in growing these plants that your experience with the plant may be entirely different from mine.

Having said that, I have found these “vigorous” clones to be faster growing than the typical forms with pitchers around 2.25” and have more of the course texture like that of a hummer’s giant but not as large.

My original plant came from a grower in the Los Angeles area. He was the first person I had heard, use the term “vigorous” to describe the clone. He indicated he had received his plant from Charles Brewer." Source Website no longer available

"The “vigorous” plant comes from Gary Kong of Los Angeles who got it from Charles Brewer who is the person that took over propagating Hummer’s Giants from John Hummer.
This plant was described to Gary as being a clone that tended to be a faster and more robust grower that the other regular Cephalotus he had seen. From the adult plants I have,
I would agree. The pitchers at least for me max out at about 2”." Source E-mail from Dennis Hastings

And that's all I have figured out over the years.

Great idea Randell. I'll dig through my notes and add what information I can to your list. Cephalotus history can be almost as interesting as the plants them self......almost.

Updated

Do you know who runs the "thecephalotus.info" site? I got this when I clicked on it:

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 5/28/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Figured I'd say something just in case the owner doesn't update often or was unaware of the situation.

Do you know who runs the "thecephalotus.info" site? I got this when I clicked on it:

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 5/28/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion.

Figured I'd say something just in case the owner doesn't update often or was unaware of the situation.

Check my last post, about 3 up from yours, I believe it was the late Dennis Hastings site. I tried to copy/paste all the unique information from that site into that post so it would not go into the void.

Another post referencing his passing http://icps.proboards.com/thread/5789.

I read the first three sentences of the paragraph you are referring to but skipped down to "So here is all I know...". It appears I skipped the most important sentence in relation to my post!

Sad to hear that he died. It at least explains where Jeremiah obtained the majority of his Cephalotus.

it was a great site with lots of good info. I have deleted the link. I didnt get the pleasure of talking with him before he passed, but a wealth of info when with him.

a few updates added.

Back