What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus consolidated

I am intrigued now. Do explain?

Edit:
Thank you Fredg! That did not disappoint :)

Last edited:
That landing strip on the pitcher is wide!!! Is it customary to measure the length from the top of the lid down?

I believe you already found the answer but I'll post it for the other readers. The answer is no. You would not measure the lid. A detail I forgot and the gents from across the pond reminded me of the "gentlemans agreement" not to include the lid in measuring. Though they let me down pretty easy and we all had a laugh about it...

Last edited:
By the way, the ceph. I mentioned previously is putting out new growth after the rude replanting it was subjected to. It was at 70% humidity, regularly refilled the pitchers and kept it in 1" of water.
Thank you for your help!

26910554726_f0179ae4a4_c.jpg

Nice!!! Glad it's recovering for you. Where did you find that large grain sand. It's caught my eye and wouldn't mind picking some up.

For those that may not want a 50 pound bag or are unable to locate Turface/larger sands you can always search E-bay for "bonsai top dressings". Really only one seller so they are easy to find, you will pay more but sometimes that is the only option. Another option is just checking the online bonsai stores or if you have a local bonsai store try calling them to check.

The gas/time I put into locating Turface I would have been better off just buying it off of amazon (which I did in the end, never found any locally).

In my experience no matter the amount of rinsing turface based top dressing (if you want to consider using it for that) develops moss coating just only a little slower than bare soil mix. Otherwise for soil additive, I keep spamming this everywhere I can: if you need turface look up Aquatic Planting Media by Pondcare/Api. Sold on amazon and at walmart!

P.S. No, I don't work for any of the above companies

Last edited:
I use turface as a top dressing and only develop moss growth after years of sitting. it deters moss growth for me. and of I see it growing a quick stir of the top dressing restarts that process.

This plant has the thickest stolon I have seen to date. It's the plant from the photo above that kept growing out of the bottom of the pot. Stolon is thicker than the main root!

Looks really happy, even trying to grow new plants at the end :-O

Nice!!! Glad it's recovering for you. Where did you find that large grain sand. It's caught my eye and wouldn't mind picking some up.

Jcal I got that same silica sand in two sizes, co**** and medium. I use medium in my mix with peat and co**** for dressing. Agri supply on east coast carries it. Don't thin there is one in your state but VA, GA, NC and SC has agri location. Usually have to only wash it a little bit with 2ppm after 3 washes tap water then two distilled washes. Have not tested it before tap washes though.

Southern products & silica co.
50LB bags extra fine, fine, medium and co**** sometimes they have extra co****.
Farm Supplies Mower Parts Tractor Implements Cast Iron Cooking Hunting

Don't know why *co**** is censored for me.

We actually ended up discussing it in another thread. The end of the word is British slang for your rear end. You'd think the forum software would have an exception for co**** though.

Lol

Hi there,

Just wanted to post a picture of my cephalotus plant that was recently replanted and was recovering from stress:

27457377541_6d0b444a11_b.jpg

It is doing rather well I think. There are atleast two new growth points and it is pushing several cute and hairy pitchers. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
glad its recovering! always nice to have a plant bounce back.

glad its recovering! always nice to have a plant bounce back.

Jcal if you still looking for some silica sand products. I found an old survey of mines on the east coast, might be able to see if the ones near you sell it still. The silica sand company I mentioned before has been operating since that survey was done on the mines.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1072l/plate-38.pdf

Jcal if you still looking for some silica sand products. I found an old survey of mines on the east coast, might be able to see if the ones near you sell it still. The silica sand company I mentioned before has been operating since that survey was done on the mines.

thanks! this is awesome!

#50 is the closest one to me in Tennessee. says quartz company but it doesn't look like that's what they mine according to the legend. might not mean anything but regardless they are getting a call from this guy.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! this is awesome!

#50 is the closest one to me in Tennessee. says quartz company but it doesn't look like that's what they mine according to the legend. might not mean anything but regardless they are getting a call from this guy.

thanks! this is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! this is awesome!

Can't seem to find anything on the sewanee silica sand conglomerate. I'm looking around to see what might be marketed as retail.

thanks! this is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks! this is awesome!

This sand looks like the aquarium gravel I used to use when in High School in the late 1960's. At the time it was called "#3 quartz". It was the standard aquarium gravel. $0.05 per lb. Now there are many high tech substrates sold by various companies for aquatic gardening.

Try searching for filter sands. It does come in various grades. Almost all are quartz/silica so they don't dissolve over time. I use a coarser sand/gravel at the bottom of Ion Exchange cylinders to enable better water distribution.

Back