What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Darlingtonia need cool roots?

My cobra lilies were thriving in Sarracenia-ese conditions...until it accidentally got sprayed with bleach...

RIP. my darling(tonia)

Yeah there seems to be a huge difference between the sun here and elsewhere; I agree with the humidity assessment, that is absolutely true. The only plants I leave out in the sun all day here are palm trees and cacti/succulents. The CPs just won't take the afternoon sun. I only expose my CPs to morning/evening light and lately some of my VFTs have been showing signs of still getting too hot. Growing Darlingtonia? Well, not saying it's impossible, but I would sure like someone else to try it before I do because I have doubts. :p

Several growers are now proposing that a pathogen is responsible for the demise of Darlingtonia. Jeff Dallas of Sarracenia Nothwest has proposed that a fungus infection such as Phytopthora is responsible.he has taken plants showing a 'typical' root rot and by " dipping them in Tebuconazole fungicide (Bayer Disease Control)" all have survived. Others propose a bacterial cause of the plants demise. There's a trial someone in one of your Darlingtonia unfriendly areas could try.

The logic in this is solid. I, too, agree that the live sphagnum is imperative, Fred. I find myself concurring with the pathogen perspective.

I would totally try my cobras with the pot-in-tray method if my current "over-engineered" setup was not working so well. When they out grow their pots they will hopefuly have produced a few stolons for me to experiment with. I will give the straight flooded tray a shot then.

living oklahoma, this really gives me hope to try darlingtonia, i can grow sarrs, VFT, several types of dews year around outside, and my biggest concern has always been the hot summer temps. Now i just need to get my hands on a cobra lilly to give this sphagnum/tray method a try. Thanks for the info everyone.

# When they out grow their pots they will hopefuly have produced a few stolons for me to experiment with. I will give the straight flooded tray a shot then.

living oklahoma, this really gives me hope to try darlingtonia, i can grow sarrs, VFT, several types of dews year around outside, and my biggest concern has always been the hot summer temps. Now i just need to get my hands on a cobra lilly to give this sphagnum/tray method a try. Thanks for the info everyone.

It's good to see some positive responses. Not everyone will wait for the other guy to sort it first :nono:
Anyone have spare Darlingtonia to help these two speed up the process? I can't as I'm in the UK.

Is anyone going to look at the anti-pathogen treatment? ( Tebuconazole fungicide (Bayer Disease Control))

Hey, I'm sorry. That came out wrong, don't mean to be a negative nancy. I am glad people are doing these experiments. :)

I would experiment with them if I happened to attain some but I haven't been so lucky as of yet. My biggest thing is that I like to be sure of what will and will not work when I attempt to grow a plant. Big problem with these is, as this thread illustrates, the amount of myths, misinformation, and lack of definite growing conditions. I do doubt they are as finicky as are rumored to be, but I would still feel bad if I spent, say, $20-30 on one and found out that my idea for growing them are not ideal.

I did stupidly forget about my little grow window inside though. I grow some dews and a fern there and the temps don't tend to exceed 85F where the plants are, which I would assume is a reasonable temperature for a cobra Lilly. Night goes down to around 70. Humidity stays really low though so that may be a problem. Haven't figured out how to raise that up to a more suitable level but the dews don't mind.

Here's the window rig. Yes, I am fouling up your darlingtonia thread with my Drosera. :p It does get a supplemental boost with a single 6500k cfl lamp that kicks on twice a day. Worth a try with darlingtonia?
IMAG0821_zpse15881df.jpg

I've killed many a cobra lily through various trial and error approaches. Having said that, a top watering in the morning, during the summer, for well-established plants, gets them through the 80's and occasional 90's of summer.

Worth a try with darlingtonia?

On the temperatures you quote I'd certainly want to try at least a half tray. Try a small plant, much easier to establish.

Last edited:
Fred,

I have used tebucanozole on other plants in the past and have a container in my supply. It is good stuff. Should my plants turn south for some reason, you can bet I will try that and report the experiment.

I lost 7-year-old Darlingtonias this year in the middle of summer and I am almost certain it fell under attack by a root rot pathogen. I suspect Pythium, Fusarium, or Phytophora. I am in Georgia, but this year had a great deal of cloudy weather, low-ish temperatures, and 90-100% humidity for almost 3 solid months. Completely abnormal. Anyway, the greenhouse I had them in contained only Arabidopsis and research plants, and all fell under attack at the same time. I had the Arabidopsis lab-analyzed, but not the Darlingtonia, and Fusarium and possibly Pythium were reported. Cleary's 3336, Subdue Maxx, and Banrot were what I used and it alleviated problems with the Arabidopsis. The Darlingtonias were too far gone to save, however, probably because I kept the soil much wetter and the pathogens spread more quickly. However, the green tissues that were left when I fungicided seemed to die more slowly than in weeks previous. I suspect I found the cure, but much too late. If I can get ahold of more Darlingtonias I'd love to trial them again. They easily were taking 90 degree summer days last year with seemingly no problems. Hopefully soon I can get some nice trades organized.

If I can get ahold of more Darlingtonias I'd love to trial them again. They easily were taking 90 degree summer days last year with seemingly no problems. Hopefully soon I can get some nice trades organized.

Some useful imformation in that , thank you. Good luck in restocking

Last edited:
Back