What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There is no such thing as too many

• Thread starter fredg
  • Start date
It's not my fault honest. The plants was hanging over the edge of one of the colonies and just not in a good place.
I had to replant it in a half tray.

9871587935_1faa6db419_o.jpg

I refuse to mention the other half tray that 'someone' planted up

How big are the half trays you mention, Fred? Curiosity is asking.

I love the contrast on this clone and others you have posted... Presumably the same clone, I guess. How many clones do you have in cultivation now?

Corey

It's based on a normal seed tray size, two half trays 8½ x 6¼ x 2" will fit inside one.

This is a half tray, the smallest I use, good for bringing on smaller plants.

9697708517_5fa17992c5_o.jpg

This is a double tray ( X4 larger), the largest I use.

8536471973_69b452e987_b.jpg

8536472217_22d4e8ff83_b.jpg

The above is my Colony No3 just after retraying, it doesn't look like that any more :-D

My main 'clone' is the original I bought when I started with CPs, I have three large colonies of that plus all the extras (cough*). Appearance does alter within a colony, depending on position. I have noted that plants are sold in the USA stating the spirality of the pitchers, well I have both, clockwise and anticlockwise, in the same colony.
Others include Othello, one from Siuslaw and a 'Giant'.
A good all red still escapes me. Many have the colouration as small plants but it fades as the pitcher size gets to maturity.

It's not my fault honest. The plants was hanging over the edge of one of the colonies and just not in a good place.
I had to replant it in a half tray.

9871587935_1faa6db419_o.jpg

I refuse to mention the other half tray that 'someone' planted up
Even in my youth in the CP world i am very interested in trying to grow these. Especially after reading your thread about the myths. I'm in Charlotte, NC do you think that our weather is too harsh for these? I think it's zone 7b

KKPsi08, I think you're 7a but I'd still certainly give it a try. They are regarded as as tough as old boots where cold temperatures are involved.

Just to try and clarify, here's a photo of the three tray sizes I use

Small black = Half tray
Green = Standard seed/ gravel tray
Large black = Double tray

9914955993_b62f06acf2_o.jpg

I hope this helps

Note:- The start of the tapes are at the tray edge, it's the angle of the shot that makes them look like they're overhanging.

KKPsi08, I think you're 7a but I'd still certainly give it a try. They are regarded as as tough as old boots where cold temperatures are involved.

Just to try and clarify, here's a photo of the three tray sizes I use

Small black = Half tray
Green = Standard seed/ gravel tray
Large black = Double tray

9914955993_b62f06acf2_o.jpg

I hope this helps

Note:- The start of the tapes are at the tray edge, it's the angle of the shot that makes them look like they're overhanging.

So you just fill the tray with Live Sphagnum Moss and plant the Darlingtonia straight in. No sand or perlite? No drainage holes either?

So you just fill the tray with Live Sphagnum Moss and plant the Darlingtonia straight in. No sand or perlite? No drainage holes either?

Correct :-D

Occasionally I may add some perlite, it depends how much live sphagnum I'm prepared to use.

Correct :-D

Occasionally I may add some perlite, it depends how much live sphagnum I'm prepared to use.

I might get one this winter so I can pot him up and get him ready for spring

I had the best success with them in a planter. It was deep enough and allowed lateral migration for new plants to emerge.

I had the best success with them in a planter. It was deep enough and allowed lateral migration for new plants to emerge.

I'm just hoping that my summers aren't too hot for it. I'm sure it would love our fall and spring with nearly 15-20 degree drops in temp between day and night. I'm just skeptical about our summers

if you're in charlotte the summers will be wayyyy too hot for it. The only hope it'll have is if you have cool water running over the roots nearly constantly.

About 10-15 degrees too low during the day and night at least during the summer months

Ouch, that is inaccurate.

Well that sucks. Guess ill just stick to the Sarrs.

I would still try it. Just prepare a bright a bright window sill in the air conditioned house. They seem to readily adapt to humidity changes.

You could still leave it out in the temperate and colds seasons.

I meant to mention that I have read of many keeping them alive on windowsills, as they are tolerant of moderate to maybe even heavy shade.

I meant to mention that I have read of many keeping them alive on windowsills, as they are tolerant of moderate to maybe even heavy shade.

So what is the safe temperature range for them?

I'd be very happy to grow at the temperatures shown on the graph, those are within my experience.

Back