What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grr Its time for the autumn Sudden Death season

For some reason I am now finding that the start of autumn is when my plants start to keel over! :(
Last week my big nutans giant collapsed along with another tequila! Them today I find my big woody tatei going limp & shrivelled. NOOOOO!

DSC_1787.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

Both the nutans & tequila were completely rotten at the base- though a few pitchers were still looking good. So did not pick up the problem as quickly as I should. The tatei had looked really good on Monday and had intended to photograph it. With this plant the base of the plant & roots still looked ok. And even after cutting up have still to find any rot. I will pot up these two sections of the woody stem and see how they go. None of these plants were together and particulary the tatei had been growing well.

bill

For some reason I am now finding that the start of autumn is when my plants start to keel over! :(
Wow! This is so odd - I lost a few plants in the early heat of summer but the others have rebounded well once it started to cool down -- very weird. :scratch:

Are you sitting them in water ?

sounds like you should really try out some preventatives such as trichoderma. i wouldnt risk such mature specimens to rot :( so sad

I lost my Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii to what looks like a similar issue last season. I used Trichoderma as a preventative. I'm truly not convinced whether water levels make a difference. My best growing Heliamphora is kept at high water levels all of the time, but it also has very high light levels and is regularly flushed, so maybe that has an influence.?

I lost my Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii to what looks like a similar issue last season. I used Trichoderma as a preventative. I'm truly not convinced whether water levels make a difference. My best growing Heliamphora is kept at high water levels all of the time, but it also has very high light levels and is regularly flushed, so maybe that has an influence.?

Hi Carl,
What conditions was your heterodoxa x ionasii growing in? Its really frustrating losing these bigger older plants just as they are developing their adult characteristics. And them its back to the start and another 6-10 year wait! Same when I lost my villosa last year- won't be around by the time my new tiny plant gets that big!! The more you learn the less you seem to know!

bill

so all his plants fall under that when it happens so close together? maybe they entered into a suicide pact? :awesome:

Judging from a few recent losses I think they have entered into a pact!! They could not stand the thought of another winter!

Last week my big nutans giant collapsed along with another tequila! Them today I find my big woody tatei going limp & shrivelled. NOOOOO!

DSC_1787.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

Both the nutans & tequila were completely rotten at the base- though a few pitchers were still looking good. So did not pick up the problem as quickly as I should. The tatei had looked really good on Monday and had intended to photograph it. With this plant the base of the plant & roots still looked ok. And even after cutting up have still to find any rot. I will pot up these two sections of the woody stem and see how they go. None of these plants were together and particulary the tatei had been growing well.

bill

hello

From my personnal experience, its a water+light problem.

When i look at your picture, your heli do not get enough light. The plant is very green.

Light = energy, so when you dont throw enough light, the plant cannot deal with minor infections and this can take over your heliamphora.
So for me, your issue is clearly a lack of light+lack of ventilation.

Of course, like i said, i speak from my own experience.
Feel free to disprove!

Back