What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus "Hummers Giant"

I've said it before; eBay should not be regarded as an accurate barometer for valuing plants of this sort. Nobody with any knowledge of this species/cultivar would pay that much for a "starter" plant of that size. Two years ago I paid $45 for a size able division of 'Hummers Giant'.

Move along - nothing to see here......

My thoughts exactly - only much more eloquently said.

Egads! What have those bidders been sniffing?

That is ridiculous a plant that size is worth $50 if I'm being generous.

Its just simple supply/demand, there is no supply for the unconnected consumer right now. You either import them, call a lot of nurseries/e-mail a lot of people, or wait.

I know of a few places online were you can get a typical Ceph right now but in my quick searches any clones are completely unavailable.

Would I pay that for a Hummer's now, well no...but I know people who have them and I would check with them.

Its just simple supply/demand, there is no supply for the unconnected consumer right now. You either import them, call a lot of nurseries/e-mail a lot of people, or wait.

I know of a few places online were you can get a typical Ceph right now but in my quick searches any clones are completely unavailable.

Would I pay that for a Hummer's now, well no...but I know people who have them and I would check with them.

I think this is a bit of an opportunity for a lot of the people who are a part of this forum. It's nice to know that there is demand out there for anyone who wants to make some $$$ from the hobby, although that much for a ceph is pretty nuts....

I think this is a bit of an opportunity for a lot of the people who are a part of this forum. It's nice to know that there is demand out there for anyone who wants to make some $$$ from the hobby, although that much for a ceph is pretty nuts....

For the time and effort ANY Ceph seed is the way to go if you want silly money. Packing Cephs is not any fun. Packing seeds is very easy.

Right now the only listings for Ceph seeds is $4 a seed, the lowest is generally $1-2 a seed.

Wow that price is madness.

For the time and effort ANY Ceph seed is the way to go if you want silly money. Packing Cephs is not any fun. Packing seeds is very easy.

Right now the only listings for Ceph seeds is $4 a seed, the lowest is generally $1-2 a seed.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...are you saying that seeds are better to sell than rooted cuttings/seedlings?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...are you saying that seeds are better to sell than rooted cuttings/seedlings?

For the time and effort seeds are the way to go. Pollinating, harvesting, and packing is so much easier than pulling leaves, planting, and growing up a plant.

Although getting flowers is a lot more difficult than rooting a leaf.

Back