What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature range/conditions for Heliamphora

In general, what is an acceptable temperature range for most Heliamphoras? I have seen a lot of contradictory information out there. Some growers state that night temps of 45f-55f are absolutely mandatory, while recently I have seen a lot of growers having success with constant room temps without a significant night drop (~68f). A local nursery just got some H. minor (typical form, Auyan Tepui) in stock, and I'm interested in giving it a try.

Right now my small carnivorous plant collection consists entirely of intermediate-highland Nepenthes. I keep them in one of the greenhouses where I work. In the greenhouse, daytime temps can get well into the 90s during the hottest part of the summer and the water is fairly poor quality. The Nepenthes don't mind at all, but I doubt Heliamphora would do well in these conditions. I have a large, south facing windowsill in my apartment, and night temps there fall into the low-mid 60s year round, so I was considering trying out a couple Heliamphora there in a small terrarium. Right now, I'm only really interested in the easier/more commonly available varieties, so H. nutans, H. minor, H. heterodoxa x minor.

hybrids more tolerant than species. out of all the species, nutans, minor, and heterodoxa are easily available and easier to grow than most. nutans and minor will appreciate drops to the low 50s, but will make due without them. heterodoxa x minor can probably do the 68F with no temp fluctuation.

90s could be potentially problematic, most of the cooler growing species would kick the bucket under prolonged conditions.

I get decent temp fluctuations in my apartment, mainly due to the fact that the area around the south-facing window heats up during the day, and nights rarely ever go above 60f here. i just don't get the 20 degree drop that some growers state is necessary for Helis. In the summer I just leave the window open for highland conditions.

I could keep my apartment night temps at 50f almost all year, but I'd have to invest in a good sleeping bag!

I've been growing H. minor and H. pulchella in terrariums with just central heating/air for a few years now. They are not thriving like a lot of the Heli photos you see posted but they are growing and increasing in size every year. My plants clearly look better in Feb than they do in Aug, and if I freeze my wife out of the house I have been rewarded with a flower or two.

We lost all power for about a week during a bad ice storm a few years back and my Heli's never looked as good as they did then. So while I am growing some in household temps the plants would be better off colder, but I'm in TX :-D. I have recently moved a H. minor into a wine chiller lite with LEDs with a constant temp of 55-58 but its way to early to draw any conclusions about that setup.

Right now my Heli's temps are 68-73 during the year they will raise or fall 2-5 degrees from that.

Personally, I've never had any diurnal temperature differential, meh... mine do ok.
IMHO, just try to keep them under 78f, while they can grow in higher temps, failure rates rise exponentially.

In this month's issue of CPN there is an article about one person's techniques/experiences with the indoor cultivation of Heliamphora....

:p

Last edited:
Photos are worth more than words I think so here are two of them, pretty common examples of the ones I have growing.

It seems I have a few H. heterodoxa also, its sad when you don't even remember what plants you have...If you look at the newest growth the juvenile pitcher is healthy and fine, but look at the others they are already dieing off. I'm always assumed this is due to improper temperatures.

The H. minor and pulchella don't have this same problem but the outer pitchers die off whenever the temps get high (78 seems to be the die back point for me).

H. pulchella

DSC_0864 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

H. heterodoxa

DSC_0869 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Back