What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi guys

Im not very experienced with cephs!

In 2011 i buyed a lil tiny 2 leaves cephalotus baby from czplants at 2.99€. Now its a medium plant, with many grow point and many lil plants growing from the base of the mother plant.
The plant is now in soft dormancy, do not grow anymore in my heli terrarium, at 12C(nights) and 22C(days), and 85%RH.

And i want to make divisions, a kind of backup because i dont want to lose the genus. But i read everywhere that the plant will have a major setback and will lose all the pitchers if i disturb the roots. The plant is beautifull, very colorfull and i dont want to crash em. What can i do? What is the best method to do that?

After the repotting, do i have to keep the divisions in a cool room, or i can put them in growing conditions, more warm ?

Thanks!

the best advise i can give you in found in the sticky on this page. There is a 20min video about how to divide cephs. they are more robust that most people give them credit for....

Don't divide it at such a young age - wait till you can pull a couple of the non-carnivorous leaves off and root them.

If you decide to divide them bag them afterwatds to avoid pitcher loss.

Thanks guys !
After reading many advices on many forums, i think i will go with john fredg and paul. I will not make divisions, only leaves cuttings. I have hard times trying to pull a lil 'white part' at the end of the leaf, i waste 3 leaves already. Poor ceph :-( lol

Don't be so quick to dismiss those leaves because you didn't not get a piece of rhizome with it. You will be surprised at what will root if you take care of the pulling. I kept a few pieces of a plant I divided last summer that I normally would have tossed out, and those rooted after a few months. Pot them up and see what happens!

Last edited:
Ok i will :)

Thanks a lot jcal !

Pitchers are just as good for cutttings as leaves :bigthumpup:

Pitchers are just as good for cutttings as leaves :bigthumpup:

That they do :-D

From this
IMGP2189.jpg

To this in about 18 months
IMGP5733_zps324e2078.jpg

I just pulled it out as far as it would go and snipped it off at the drain hole. Popped it in a pot (equal parts of perlite, sand and peat moss) and left it outdoors. Tray watered or top watered, whatever mood suited me. It does rain in Albany, WA after all.

totally agree,i have had a great success rate with pitcher pullings in live sphagnum ,i always fill the pitcher with suitable water but dunno if it helps i just thought it would

A pitcher cutting

6786182820_e3be296a95.jpg

Yep I almost never get the white part with leaf cuttings but still 99 % of the leaves root just fine in 2-3 months.

Back