What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Watch 2014

S. flava hybrid. probably flava x rubra

Most advanced of my flowers for this year. i see lots of marbles here and there.

All of my Sarracenia are buried under snow right now. I think you beat everyone to the party by 3 months.

It's time for the sarrs to bloom in Hawaii, giving the rest of us hope for springtime. I like the first one best. 'Nice blending of pink and yellow.

indeed......I seen the beginnings of a couple flowers in my gh so tomorrow the plan is to put them back outside since it is mild this week but this year I do plan on using my gh to break dormancy in early march and get a head start on the growing season this year.

IMGP7132_zps0bef9181.jpg

S. oreophila Sand Mountain #2

IMGP7151_zpsf4e9d1f4.jpg

IMGP7149_zpscaf396c8.jpg

S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii (aka S. rosea) Crestview, FL. Short stalk under 6 inches.

Good looking flowers. Not much action around my way.

February 18, 2014

I noticed you cut back all of the leaves and left the flowering stalk. Why? Should I be doing this if my Sarracenia has put up a flower stalk and it's starting to bulge out a little?

You'll notice most of the cut back leaves are dead leaves from last season. There is really no reason to cut off a perfectly good, still green and functioning pitcher.

xUmlauftiana! The little buds popping up are minor.

Only yellow/green flowers so far
S. oreophila × minor
IMGP7234_zps5f1e09c6.jpg

S. oreophila Sand Mountain #2
IMGP7235_zps07e76a38.jpg

S. leuco x (leuco x purp) flower bud on a rare rainy day:

So far I have buds emerging on S. flava var. flava; alata Tyler Co, TX; leucophylla Garcon Point C; 'Matoaka', and strangely minor var. okeefenokeensis Ware Co, GA Clone X. Okay, that last one came in from California, so it's ahead of everyone else.

You'll notice most of the cut back leaves are dead leaves from last season. There is really no reason to cut off a perfectly good, still green and functioning pitcher.

Should I be cutting the dead leaves off as it happens or only during a certain time of the season?

Should I be cutting the dead leaves off as it happens or only during a certain time of the season?

Most people do it during the winter because there is a greater chance of fungus and bacteria due to the large amount of dead leaves. During the growing season dead leaves aren't really a problem, and it is much easier to trim the dead leaves off all at once in my opinion.

Thanks Tanukimo! :)

IMGP7270_zps337d7684.jpg

Hybrid in making S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii Crestview, FL × oreophila Sand Mtn#2

IMGP7281_zps81713016.jpg

Mystry S. rubra given as alabamensis

IMGP7269_zpsc14de239.jpg

S. 'Leah Wilkerson'

IMGP7275_zps1604b840.jpg

S. 'Tarnok'

Last edited:
Can't wait for these (this one?) to open.
S. rubra ssp alabamensis double header. Should I do a "selfie"?
IMGP7401_zpse48d73af.jpg

Back