What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first time growing Cephalotus from seed

Thanks Dionea, I hope that the next update will be more impressive, they are growing better in their new mix. I will be adding my 2014 seedlings to this thread as soon as they are big enough for my camera to pick up, and hopefully they will be growing quicker for me

Last edited:
Finally something to report

Nice results. Looks like your time like is from oct 2013 to oct 2015. Plants are already almost adults. Think they will flower next year?

Think the pic is deceptive, they still look pretty young apart from the one in the pic, they had a rough start and think it may be another couple of years before I see any flowers. The plants germinated I think in February 14 , I should add my February 15 seedlings to the thread , they have been growing in a small propagator with higher humidity and I think lower light , they are catching up really quickly

Last edited:
A few pics of the plants that germinated February 2014, its more or less their second birthday , growth hasn't been great but a very enjoyable experience , this next pic is of the batch germinated February 2015 they are grown in higher humidity under a fluorescent bulb in a propagator and are doing much better, one has a mature looking pitcher

Nice, corky. 'Looks like total success to me! What kind of parent plant did the seeds come from? Any particular traits?

Hi Mark , no particular traits it was an unnamed clone selfed for the 2014 plants , and the plants for 2015 there was the unnamed and possible large clone pollen , I smashed a paint brush around between the two

Is Cephalotus 'Gabby Hayes' still doing well corky?

Hehe Fred, he's gone bold(only kidding) 2014 is Gabby Hayes selfed offspring , so lets see what happens when they hit puberty, funny ( good memory) think that was around the first time I spoke to" fredg" I didn't have a clue but ain't google a wonderful thing;-) got to be one of the most obscure actor's ever, " Gabby" looked terrible this winter and was next to a stapelia with mealies so had a repot, total repot , roots washed the lot, no bugs found so probably a waste of time, take it ages to recover but something was a miss

Last edited:
Gabby obscure? Oh corky, shame on you :nono:

hardly Brad Pitt , found the original pic for comparison

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the looks of male actors doesn't interest me that much

Nor me Fred but I suspect most have heard of Brad and the picture was to show who Gabby was to those who weren't in the know, and its a bloody funny pic;-)

If you think he looks funny it's just as well you haven't heard his voice

Back