What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing/Propagating Cephalotus non-traditional methods - Lets get a list together.

The title says it all, hopefully we can get a nice long listing of methods TF members have tried successfully to grow or propagate Cephalotus. I know there a few of us that try some really crazy stuff so hopefully they will chime in.

Photos are encouraged :-D.

I'll get us started with something I tried way back when I was just starting out with Cephs.

Some African root driftwood or similar kept constantly moist, if the wood is kept partially emersed in water some of the moisture will wick up the wood. Find a nice evenly moist crack or crevice and add a leaf pull, I've also been successful will small plantlets.

411 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Many moons later.

007 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
008 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Now for a more recent one that might change the way I propagate Cephs. Some of the seed starting sponge like plugs inside a Styrofoam block. The entire block floats on top of the water so if you have 40" of water or 1" of water the plants will not notice any difference in moisture. On 22 Nov 2013 I planted 9 pulls, of those 9 leaves 8 are still "healthy", 1 decayed and was replaced this morning. I added another 9 on 28 Jan 2014. Two of the original ones are just starting to show visible growth.

DSC_0080 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0082 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Nice, really inventive and cool.

Neat!

Neat! I just pulled two leaves and put them into the live sphagnum in the same tiny wardian.
1618638_10201519542966461_1317856927_n.jpg

I'm starting a thread of the whole thing and a question about some white cottony thing on it.

Here is an update on the seed starting sponges, last time I pulled the block out there were no visible roots out the bottom of the sponge. 4/18 leaves have visible growth.

DSC_0159 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Very nice results. Saves a lot of space growing lots of pullings that way.
Any chance of seeing the pot floating in water?

Very nice results. Saves a lot of space growing lots of pullings that way.
Any chance of seeing the pot floating in water?

I've been trying to figure out a way to get a photo and short of putting it in the bath tub like a ship:-)) Well I would have to move a ton of stuff, its in the back corner of a crowded tank. When I move things around next I'll see what I can do. Basically it just floats on the water with the bottom 1/4" under the water, less water than that and its on the bottom.

No worries. I get the general idea. I need to get try this floating method. Takes care of the watering problem.

While sending out the NASC items this morning I planted a few more leaves in the sponge things. Here they are with a photo of the "raft" floating. With only one side planted the "raft" is leaning into the water more than usual. But it should convey the idea.

DSC_0182 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0183 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the first sponge plug we pulled out, unless I find a downside soon I may be reworking the way I do leaf pulls. So much quicker and easier than an other method I've tried and packing them to mail was so much easier. I've transplanted my first one directly into a peat/turface mix this morning, just buried the sponge into the mix.

DSC_0250 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Very cool guys. :) If I had cuttings I would try that.

That is excellent - love the way they have grown!
Fantastic working keep it going

How did you remove the plug from the foam? Did it just lift out?

I just used the flat end of a pencil and pushed it out. The foam block is a cone shape, larger at the top and smaller at the bottom.

Wow awesome idea. How far away from the lights are the cuttings? I think my problem is that I give mine too much T-5 light. Also, where did you get the styrofoam trays?

They are about 8-10" from a single T5 (old bulb) so not a lot of light. I've had the trays for a while so I'm not sure where they came from, I know a few of the seed companies sell these things. I've been looking for a larger sponge that I could try to grow a Ceph in long term and see what happens.

I've used those propagation sponges for years for commercial propagation of roses, and they were vastly superior to anything else I had used previously. Once I started using those, I abandoned all other rooting materials/methods. The only downside (which may or may not be an issue with Cephalotus) is that the sponge material take years to break down, so it will persist at the crown of the developing plant for a long time. I don't see any reason to think it will become a health issue for the maturing plant, but you may discover unforeseen problems somewhere down the road. I wouldn't let that deter you from using this method, though. It looks very promising.

I was actually hoping they would last for many years before breaking down in the medium so that's good news for what I'm trying to do, I'm even more hopeful they will break down slower with a constant moisture and no other medium. I'm trying the largest ones I could find right now and they are 1.75" across, have you ran across any larger ones?

I was actually hoping they would last for many years before breaking down in the medium so that's good news for what I'm trying to do, I'm even more hopeful they will break down slower with a constant moisture and no other medium. I'm trying the largest ones I could find right now and they are 1.75" across, have you ran across any larger ones?

I doubt they come much bigger than that (I typically used 1" wide plugs), but if you want larger rooting materials, you should try working with Oasis, the stuff florists use for flower arrangements (there are two types; the dry and the wet, so make sure you don't get the DRY Oasis, which does not absorb water) I have friends who used Oasis for rooting many woody shrubs. It comes in blocks and you can cut pieces to suit your needs. It is stiff though so you will need to poke holes to insert your leaf cuttings into.

Back