What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

immature minor question

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I have a minor that have been growing immature pitchers for about 2 years now. I know there really is not anything to do to make mature pitchers appear. The plant is dividing like crazy. My main question would be, should I leave the plant alone and continue letting it divide? Will I continue delaying mature pitchers of i do divide the plant?

Sarracenia minor or Heliamphora minor? Is the plant from tissue culture?

As I understand it, plants out of tissue culture can show residual effects of the tissue culture process for quite a while (such as dividing a lot). After two years, you think that would have begun to ware off, but I don't know. I personally probably wouldn't divide it (though a picture of the plant, and the genus, would help to make that decision). What you CAN do to help it make mature pitchers faster is make sure it is getting enough light and enough nutrition through feeding or fertilization. Heliamphora will progress very slowly if they don't get fertilized in some way.

thanks for the great advise. it is Heli and i do believe it was a TC plant. for the first year I did feed and fertilize alot. something I may need to revisit to get the plant to give me different results.

some popular clone lines take years to get out of division mode...

elongata and certain nutan's variants from a popular vendor come to mind.
It is assumed to be TC related issues, not much can be done to hurry up the process in these cases.

I am not aware of any minor lines out there that are known for being that bad though.

some popular clone lines take years to get out of division mode...

elongata and certain nutan's variants from a popular vendor come to mind.
It is assumed to be TC related issues, not much can be done to hurry up the process in these cases.

I am not aware of any minor lines out there that are known for being that bad though.

Butchie, the patron saint of marsh pitchers and smoked meats, is quite correct, in suggesting that some of the plant's growing habits can be attributed to the action of plant growth regulators used in tissue culture -- especially cytokinins such as 6-BAP, which is widely used during multiplication. It can take one hell of a time to stop their influence.

I have a few plants, some variants of H. minor in fact, which are madly dividing, some two years ex vitro, but refuse to do anything else . . .

butchie.... omg faceplam

one of these days old friend ;-)
ya brat!

thanks for the advise. ill sit tight and see what happens.
a wise person told me that "if i want mature pitchers, get a plant with mature pitchers". I see why now!

Phew... Finally!!!

Last edited:
woot woot, there ya go!

Back