What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24/7 light for cobras?

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
We all have see this recommended for sarr seedlings. I have a few darlingtonia seeds in the fridge and I was wondering how they would respond to this method of growing? My sarr seedlings will be going outside soon so I will have the room to grow them under light 24/7. Do you think they will respond the same?

My only attempt at this ended with the seedlings dying in a very short time. But I also had them on a heating pad with the soil temperature (thermostat controlled, soil temperature probe) set to 81°F as recommended by Bugweed for Sarracenia. Then I read in a an old issue of The Carnivorous Plant Newsletter some tests showed 80-82° root temperatures was the upper for the species. I've just been too lazy (and also giving away all my seed) to try it with control groups - 24/7 with heat, 24/7 without heat, photoperiod with heat and without heat. If you have the seed say 20 per group give it a shot.

On the plus side, if you try it often enough, you might just find a cultivar that can take good amounts of heat, or one that doesn't need a hard dormancy. :)

(At least... maybe?)

I would love to have a larger group to attempt. I only have about 20 seeds or so. they were sent in a trade so im also unsure of the age. there is a vendor i can purchase them from. I will try to obtain more seed and test the method.

If you are talking about the same vendor I obtain seeds from I can vouch for the seeds viability and copious quantity. Go for it!

I *bet* they will respond well to the 24/7 lighting. The seedling I have grown seem to be more tolerant to heat than the adult specimens I have had (and, unfortunately for some, lost). I can only conjecture about the increased photo period, though.

Thanks for all of your replies. I have ordered the seed. After they arrive I will stratify and give it a shot. I have sarracenia seed that I was going to grow this way as well. I will try to provide updates!

Results so far.
Darnlingtonia are slower so I can't tell if the are truly behind. Should have had a control but didn't. They have so far been fine with 24/7 light.

Last edited:
Back