What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sickly Darlingtonia ?

tuballkain

Prince Ruffus Magnium
Does this little Cobra look in poor health? I have had him outside in the pond he doesn't look like he is growing and the heads on some look kind of see thru or thin idk.

Most plants inside growing w/vigor. Could just be in my head. Hard to find pic's to compare it to.

:hail: So I thought I'ed ask the experts :hail:

Thnx

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Could it just have not yet come out of dormancy? The "heads" are usually see-through, so I don't think that is a problem. Are you able to find a growing point? Sometimes it takes a while until plants come back from dormancy.

Is that a new pitcher in the middle with the yellow top?

Is that a new pitcher in the middle with the yellow top?

It sure looks like one to me. The lighter color and flattened hood seem to suggest that it is still developing.

Sorry, I did not read correct, I read 'new picture', but it clearly says 'new pitcher' :headwall:

Yes that on and a small one on the back side.

Well my Darlingtonia are still dormant as are some of my Sarracenia and Dionaea. Plants grown indoors have a totally different set of environmental cues and conditions so you're comparing apples to oranges.

That Darlingtonia looks great compared to mine. Mine is just starting to wake up and most of the tops of the pitchers are dead. Also the tops of the pitchers are supposed to be translucent. It's part of the trapping mechanism.
Is it the mountain or coastal form?

Is it the mountain or coastal form?

I am assuming coastal cause it's a 'californica' ? At least that's what was on the tag @ the nursery.

Ok, now I know the pitcher is supposed to be like that. I learn at least 1 lesson every time I'm here! :cool:

Last edited:
Darlingtonia is a monotypic genus. This means that there is only one species: D. californica, however there are plants from coastal Oregon, and there are populations in the mountains of California. The reason that I asked was because the two varieties have different requirements. The coastal variety needs constant cool and humid conditions. The mountain variety can take warmer temperatures and a wider humidity range, however it needs a nighttime temperature drop to at least 65*f. Both varieties require dormancy, and their roots should be kept as cool as possible.

Last edited:
Darlingtonia is a monotypic genus. This means that there is only one species: D. californica, however there are plants from coastal Oregon, and there are populations in the mountains of California. The reason that I asked was because the two varieties have different requirements. The coastal variety needs constant cool and humid conditions. The mountain variety can take warmer temperatures and a wider humidity range, however it needs a nighttime temperature drop to at least 65*f. Both varieties require dormancy, and their roots should be kept as cool as possible.

I really wish I knew now. I'm going to be more on que from now on when purchasing so I know what I'm getting. I think I'll go back and ask for some clarification. The only reason I put in pond is while I was doing some googling on CPs I saw this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNhGeJeZmo

Thanks for the info Bio :hail:

How long have you had the plant? If it's a fairly recent acquisition you should know that Darlingtonia are considered a fairly advanced-difficulty genus, and plenty of accomplished growers have had problems with them in cultivation. Most of the successful growers have done a lot of studying and/or live in favorable climates. I haven't even attempted it yet, hahah. Good luck!

How long have you had the plant? If it's a fairly recent acquisition you should know that Darlingtonia are considered a fairly advanced-difficulty genus, and plenty of accomplished growers have had problems with them in cultivation. Most of the successful growers have done a lot of studying and/or live in favorable climates. I haven't even attempted it yet, hahah. Good luck!

Yea, it's new, I'm new to CPS myself :blush:

The price was good, and the ones online looked so cool. :-D

I now have to control myself and do forward thinking, when purchasing :confused:

Hahahah don't feel too bad! There are clones of Darlingtonia that respond really well to tissue culture, so they're cheap to produce and sell, even though they're hard to keep long term. If you want something with somewhat similar needs, but which is much easier, look at getting some Sarracenia. They are easy enough for beginners, and interesting enough that some people grow hundreds of clones and breed them for decades. Good luck!

The difficult thing about them is that they need to have their roots cool, as they grow in places where water is constantly flowing over them. You could try putting ice cubes on the soil to try to replicate that, and I would recommend doing that on hot days.

If it's the mountain form, you don't need to worry as much about the soil temperature, as the soil in situ can spike to well over 85 F. The necessary part, mind you, is the aeration of the soil. A very open mix, and/or constant water flow is best. My seedlings are grown in a tall pot that has lots of live sphagnum, and holes all around the side, so there's always air flow through the roots and rarely any water issues.
Darlingtonia is a lot easier than many people paint it to be, given the right conditions, but it should still be considered a more advanced-technique species. Certainly practicing with the mountain forms of Sarracenia species is a good start before you try cobra lilies.

You already have a Darlingtonia so now it's up to you to keep it alive and flourishing. It's not so difficult as most will have you believe. I have already had plants with root temperatures spiking 30C (86F) and it's only April. Night root temperatures of 21< C ( 70< F) are also common place. It's up to you now to do a little informed research.

Last edited:
Back