What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting a heliamphora flower stalk

An ignored experiment done in July 2013. I thought it looked too green to have have done nothing. Imagine my surprise:0o:

14113621162_a6d61d1f6d_c.jpg

14136749773_0cf3840278_c.jpg

14113620592_736d85f09c_c.jpg

Very interesting. If it starts making leaves then it will be really cool. :0o:

Frankly, I'm not surprised you were able to root it, as every genus I've tried this on had some sort of 'success', but I wouldn't have considered it possible with the Sarraceniaceae.

Last edited:
makes sense if you can get pitchers to root. why not the flower stalk. actually got part of stem there. Next question is if it will start making a plant from dormant meristematic tissue. Very interesting.

makes sense if you can get pitchers to root. why not the flower stalk. actually got part of stem there. Next question is if it will start making a plant from dormant meristematic tissue. Very interesting.

How about rooting a heliamphora pitcher (rootless, wombless, open at the bottom)?

How about rooting a heliamphora pitcher (rootless, wombless, open at the bottom)?

It's not going to work if it's just a pitcher with the bottom removed. The leaf base is where the roots and leaves will emerge. That little bit of rhizome is what is needed to get the roots and meristems.

Last edited:
Witch!! Witch!!

Nice black magic Jen,
My one attempt was still alive a year later, but no roots.... I finally just pulled it.

Back