What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus flower stalks

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
What am I going to do with all of these?

All of the plants except a few smaller ones have stalks galore. Not sure if this will set back the plants much back but I might let all of them flower. Have a bit of a height problem but i don't think it will hender the development of seed. Thoughts???

I think you are going to make a lot of new friends....

Very nice!! Looks like ebay will soon become your new friend! Do you have any pics of your whole set up?

FWIW, I have found that when I allowed my Cephalotus to flower as much as they pleased, it delayed new pitchers by a month or more. (Even though none of them formed seeds) For this reason I am not allowing my plants to make more then one flower stalk per plant. Just something to consider. Am I the only one who has observed this effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I have found that when I allowed my Cephalotus to flower as much as they pleased, it delayed new pitchers by a month or more. (Even though none of them formed seeds) For this reason I am not allowing my plants to make more then one flower stalk per plant. Just something to consider. Am I the only one who has observed this effect?

that was one of my concerns. the two larger plants have about 6 stalks each, which will be extremely taxing on the plant. I do intend to thin them out. might leave 2 on each plant.

if you want seeds i would cross pollinate with a small paint brush,if you do not then chop em,you can self pollinate but more chance of interesting offspring if you cross between different clones,so i'm told,if you keep the flowers i would feed the pitchers ,or i am controversially using a half strength orchid fert in the water,but that's a bit experimental and i would not say to do it.Them stalks will get long

Last edited:
Following on Corky's note about fertilizer: I have used MaxSea on my Cephalotus many times (sometimes during the Nepenthes fertilizer cycle I dump in on the Cephalotus also, sometimes I skip them). I have witnessed neither a benefit nor detriment to the plants as a result, so my impression is that they don't care if I apply it or not. FWIW.

Last edited:
i do feed and fert my plants. inconsistantly. I dont think it would hurt to give them alittle more during their seed production. I put cichlid pellets in the pitchers. use orchid ferts for the roots. really cant tell if it has made a huge difference. I guess with I have seed to spare i will torture a few to see if it makes a difference.

wow jcal, well done. amazing Cephalotus!

Nice!

I would find something really nice to cross with that 'Squat' there :) If you had a traceable Hummer's Giant I think that could make the most interesting cross.

Lots of options, good luck and keep us informed.

Many report this on Cephalotus and Heliamphora. However, I do not see this. If you feed the Cephalotus or Heliamphora heavily all year round, flowering or not, the plant pitchers and grows. The plant is starved for nutrients after flowering, and if a supply of food is given, there is no cessation of growth. Of course, if you grow your plants outside, there is also the seasons and lighting issues to take into consideration.

Back