What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora hispida

I love it! I wish my conditions were more conducive to growing sun pitchers, but alas no.

Very nice great job!!! Looks so happy and healthy

Very nice plant. Looking very healthy.

hispida has been difficult for me, nice growing maiden.

Mike: Yes its a picky specie. Hispida need less light and cooler nights.

Last edited:
Very nice Francois', well done!
She looks like a natural blonde in the pics.... :)

Last edited:
>Mike: Yes its a picky specie. Hispida need less light and cooler nights.

Sure. But providing cool nights and low light hasn't usually resulted in adult pitchers for me. I grew one juvenile for 4 or 5 years, it still had juvenile pitchers when it died during moving. I got an unrooted division with small adult pitchers, and it reverted to juvenile leaves. This one here is the only juvenile that ever started making adult leaves for me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51764444@N03/14107295418
So I'm impressed that you were able to get a juvenile hispida to make adult pitchers that quickly, low light and cool temps haven't been sufficient for me usually.

Mine matured alright, but never got big..... stayed dwarf.

>Mike: Yes its a picky specie. Hispida need less light and cooler nights.

Sure. But providing cool nights and low light hasn't usually resulted in adult pitchers for me. I grew one juvenile for 4 or 5 years, it still had juvenile pitchers when it died during moving. I got an unrooted division with small adult pitchers, and it reverted to juvenile leaves. This one here is the only juvenile that ever started making adult leaves for me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51764444@N03/14107295418
So I'm impressed that you were able to get a juvenile hispida to make adult pitchers that quickly, low light and cool temps haven't been sufficient for me usually.

Elrancho, i already follow you on flickr :)
(Nice pictures by the way!)

In fact, i grow this lil hispida at the end of my t5 tubes, so the light is not so strong.

Maybe the juvenile setback is the result of a lack of light and/or too much heat?

From my experience, the more important is the roots. If you can keep the roots cool(cold), the next pitcher will always be taller.

Francois

Last edited:
Mine matured alright, but never got big..... stayed dwarf.

Can u throw us a picture?

My plant is also very short, maybe 10cm, but its the very first pitcher.

15-25cm i think.

With species like H. hispida, I'm curious whether the species itself is difficult for us to grow or whether the few clones that we have access to are specifically problem plants. I know there is a similar issue with at least one of the H. elongata clones floating around (although that one grows well, just never makes the move to mature pitchers).

:scratch:

I wouldn't eliminate that as a possibility.

Back