What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a little worried about my S. Minor

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
I mentioned this in my introductory post, but this plant has still not shown any new growth. It's been in full sun for the last 2 months at least, but the leaves, despite being damaged, were vivid green with some pastel reds at the hood. Now this is happening:

attachment.php

The W, S, E, at the bottom of the photo is to show which direction gets dawn / afternoon sun. The darker part is oddly facing the direction I would think gets more diffused light for a few hours. It gets about a full 12 hours a day, so I...just...don't get it.

I'm starting to think I'm killing it somehow. It's in a shallow, undrained pot, if you can't tell from the photos, but I didn't expose the roots when I re-potted after receiving it, just pulled away some extra lfs, and left the roots in the lfs it was shipped in. An S. rubra in the same bowl seems to be thriving.

Are these leaves dying or what?

Sounds like you just got it this Spring?
if so, I wouldnt worry, its probably fine..
Being repotted in the spring probably slowed it down, it looks fine though.
the existing pitchers are just naturally ageing, they are getting older, they get burned and damaged after a few months.
those pitchers probably "grew up" outside of direct sun, early this spring, before you got it, which is what causes the sunburn.
I dont consider sunburn a major issue..

Did it already have those pitchers when you bought it?
and then you repotted it after you bought it?
(shipped "bare root" with full pitchers perhaps?)

"shallow" and "undrained" isnt a great combination..
most of the time it will be either too wet or too dry..
"deep and undrained" is better, because it holds more water.
for a small shallow pot, its better to use "the tray method"..
Can you poke a few holes in the bottom (you can probably do it without removing the plant from the pot)
then put it in a tray of water..

how shallow is it? if its deep enough, you could also poke some drain holes in the side..
please give us the width and depth of the pot..
you wont need to repot it again this season, but the size will indicate the best way to handle the water level,
"tray method" or "mini bog" style..

also, from your photos, the rhizome looks like it might be planted a bit deep..you should be able to just see the spot where
the pitchers meet up with the rhizome.

but overall, it looks fine to me..I dont see much cause for alarm.
it will probably start putting out pitchers soon, I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Scot

Last edited:
Sounds like you just got it this Spring?
if so, I wouldnt worry, its probably fine..
Being repotted in the spring probably slowed it down, it looks fine though.
the existing pitchers are just naturally ageing, they are getting older, they get burned and damaged after a few months.
those pitchers probably "grew up" outside of direct sun, early this spring, before you got it, which is what causes the sunburn.
I dont consider sunburn a major issue..

Did it already have those pitchers when you bought it?
and then you repotted it after you bought it?
(shipped "bare root" with full pitchers perhaps?)

"shallow" and "undrained" isnt a great combination..
most of the time it will be either too wet or too dry..
"deep and undrained" is better, because it holds more water.
for a small shallow pot, its better to use "the tray method"..
Can you poke a few holes in the bottom (you can probably do it without removing the plant from the pot)
then put it in a tray of water..

how shallow is it? if its deep enough, you could also poke some drain holes in the side..
please give us the width and depth of the pot..
you wont need to repot it again this season, but the size will indicate the best way to handle the water level,
"tray method" or "mini bog" style..

also, from your photos, the rhizome looks like it might be planted a bit deep..you should be able to just see the spot where
the pitchers meet up with the rhizome.

but overall, it looks fine to me..I dont see much cause for alarm.
it will probably start putting out pitchers soon, I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Scot

Well, heh. I probably will have to repot it, since it's made of glass. To be honest, I didn't get a good look at the rhizome, because the roots were packed in moist sphagnum, of which I only removed the loose, extraneous bits. I was not exactly expecting the plant to be that large.

That may not be an excuse though. This is probably a good reason to consider dumping aesthetics and focus primarily on the health of the plant. I know it sounds terrible, lol...but water-trays and green plastic pots aren't really coffee-table centre-pieces, if you know what I mean. :p

I shouldn't have to disturb the plants too much. The VFT's are potted separately, I can just pop them out and put them in trays, no harm done. The two pitchers I can probably scoop them out fairly intact and just put them in larger, drained pots with trays as well.

Maybe in a few years when I have plants coming out of my ears, I'll see what I can get away with as far as decoration goes.

(Edit) just remembered I had a pic of the bowl, if it'll help you determine the size. The pitchers are about 6-7 1/2" tall.

attachment.php

Last edited:
You could probably fill up that bowl with some sundews and it would look really nifty (plus they would probably not mind as much).

Back