What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia windows

Now I have all my plants together I get to sit, look at them and compare. I am noticing that the textures can vary quite a bit. One of my clones , a Mike Brooks' seedling has domed windows which gives the plant a warty reptilian appearance. I've checked with the friend whom I received it from and he says not one of the ones he retained has this. ( One of the benefits of growing from seed ).
Here's some photos of four of the clones I have.

14133158647_fefbc6e59a_o.jpg

I don't know the words to describe how neat that is. Great photos! I'm a little jealous of your camera. I'm going to have to get out my jewelers loupe and check mine out. :)

Great pics Fred. Very odd that the windows on the Mike Brooks clone look convex while the rest all look concave. Very interesting photos.

Last edited:
Yeah, the windows on the Mike Brooks one definitely look out of this world. Really nice to see how different they are compared to the other windows.

By the way, what does clone mean in the context of plants? I've always thought they referred to plants that were divisions or tissue cultures that originated from other plants, but I've never heard seedlings referred to as clones before.

I received the Mike Brooks' seedling as a very small seedling ( this may explain the name :D) and I have checked back with the supplier. None of the other plants grown from this batch of seed has the same domed windows.

:hail:Seed growing rules!:boogie:

Tanukimo. we, that is many growers, use the term clone wrongly but we mostly understand what we mean. In this context it is an individual plant and or vegetative progeny of it, they have identical genes. ( At least that's what I mean)

Zath, it's a Fujifilm bridge camera which cost about $150 a few years ago. I use it as a field camera and it has been dropped on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
Zath, it's a Fujifilm bridge camera which cost about $150 a few years ago. I use it as a field camera and it has been dropped on more than one occasion.

My problem is that my camera has no way of adding aftermarket lenses. With my old film Canon, I had some macro lenses that could take photos like that, but it's been broken for a long time. Something in the film-advance assembly has snapped, and my only camera repair shop wants $250 just to ship it to California to have it looked at, before they quote any repair costs to me.

....So now I have a Nikon Coolpix P500. :D

The bridge cameras have no way of changing lenses either. One lens does it all. They're not just cheap and cheerful they take good photos too.

OMG, great succession of pics showing the interesting variations. Thank you for posting these!

I have some Darlingtonia seeds stratifying. I plan to leave them in 5 weeks before sowing. (I heard 4-6 weeks, so I'm compromising)

Hopefully I'll get some small amount of variety, even though I'm assuming the seeds are all from one plant. (The way they were packaged though, they may not be, which would be awesome).

Even from one plant you might have nice variation. Hopefully there was some cross pollination going on. ;)

Back