What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something seems wrong with my Sarracenia, please help!

tumblr_n7104aj8yd1s5itlso1_1280.jpg

If you can see the photo, there is some serious discoloration. This leaf specifically is the worst off, but all of them have this problem. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. Today I cut off all the dead leaves and flushed out the soil with pure water to get out anything that could hurt, but I do not know if that will help. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

Last edited:
Your pic is broken for me...not that I'm in the best position to help, but someone will request a fixed link sooner, rather than later...so figured I'd jump in.

It would also help to know (TF'ers I'm helping you out here) how long you've had it, and where you're growing it, both general climate and local conditions (such as by a window, out in the yard, etc.)

I think I fixed the link now. As for the conditions, I am in a temperate climate, and I have it under a growlight right now.

Any chance you could get a clearer pic?

It may just be aging. What kind of Sarr. is it?

It's a scarlet hood. As for the aging, I don't know about that. The leaf hasn't even opened yet, but the thing looks like it's dying.
tumblr_n7104aj8yd1s5itlso2_1280.jpg

I have a really bad camera, my apologies.

Assuming it's in a drained pot, and that you've had it for more than a couple weeks....I'd say it looks like excess heat / low humidity. That would be my guess. It really should go outside for the summer if you're in a temperate climate. Top water it every other day or so, and make sure there's an inch or two of water in the tray at all times.

What is your soil mix?

If I remember it was either 1 part sphagnum moss, 1 part peat, and 1 part perlite. Either that or 2 part sphagnum, 2 part peat, and 1 part perlite.

If I remember it was either 1 part sphagnum moss, 1 part peat, and 1 part perlite. Either that or 2 part sphagnum, 2 part peat, and 1 part perlite.

And nothing at all (Perlite or Peat) was fertilized, i.e. Miracle Grow brand?

Sounds okay, though the perlite was unnecessary. My guess is still heat / low-humidity. I'll leave it at that until someone else chimes in.

Oh no, I never use miracle grow with any of my carnivorous plants. In addition, I think you're right. The water tray hasn't had nearly enough water in a while, so I will just step up on that. I was just worried it was a fungus infection or something like that. Thank you so much!

Sarracenia make poor indoor plants. Can you not get it outside in the open air?

It looks like it is adjusting to lower humidity, and, depending on where you live, it should be grown outside. In addition, it looks like it is suffering from low light.

The problem I often have is I live in Kansas, and the weather can often be unpredictable, and the heat can go above 100 degrees F one day, and below 70 the next. I tried to keep it indoors to prevent it from going into shock or anything of the like. I suppose my efforts were in vain?

The problem I often have is I live in Kansas, and the weather can often be unpredictable, and the heat can go above 100 degrees F one day, and below 70 the next. I tried to keep it indoors to prevent it from going into shock or anything of the like. I suppose my efforts were in vain?

Probably. As Whim stated earlier, beyond seedlings, Sarrs aren't great indoor candidates. Not saying it can't be done, but if yours is having trouble, it's obviously not in the right conditions. If you want to keep it indoors, I suggest looking at some Terrarium setups. The problem with that is that you're usually limited by headspace.

If nothing else, just put them outside and keep a close close eye on the weather. If it looks like there's anything funky coming up (a freak cold-front or tornado, for example) bring them in for the night. :p

keeping it indoors is MUCH worse than keeping it outdoors..even with your stated temp ranges.
put it in a tray of water, outside, in full sun..dont worry about the temp, as long as there is water in the tray.

It probably wont do too much this year..but thats ok.
it should put out a few better pitchers though.
plants can take many months to adapt to new conditions, even *better* conditions, and the growing season is nearly half over for this year..
assuming you can give it a proper winter dormancy, it should do much better next year..

it needs to be outside..that's the best thing you can do for it.

Scot

Just an anecdote, related to what scotty said:

I bought an S. Minor this spring, and after almost 3 months of it being in my care, is only now putting up a 2" undeveloped pitcher. I'm not hoping for any more than 2 pitchers out of it this year, as it seems to be an extremely slow grower.

Don't give up on it...but I would definitely put it outside in full sun, as suggested.

Back