What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea in Theodore Wirth Park (Minneapolis, MN)

Took a 10 mile stroll from downtown today to visit this park, which I only recently realized existed (a great personal failing after seven years here). Chief among the attractions is the Quaking Bog, a small naturally occurring sphagnum bog (park literature says it has an estimated age of around 3700 years) complete with carnivorous plants! Restoration has been underway since 1986, when Minneapolis parks and rec undertook the considerable task of cleansing the bog of invasive buckthorn, and the floating walkway that makes it accessible these days was installed in 1995. End history.

I didn't spot any sundews today, like Voodoolizard did a few years back, but there were S. purpurea a-plenty, all flowering.

Neat place, and one I'm sure I'll visit again (if there be sundews there, I must see them). I'd love to make it up to Big Bog state park one of these days (500 square miles of peat bog near Red Lake), but that'll take some doing for a car-less city dweller with nothing but a state ID at his disposal. For something practically in my back yard, this was a pretty cool find.

Anyway, pics! First of the sphagnum (gorgeous, and doubtless benefiting from all the rain we've had this week / weekend - it had engulfed the walkway in places), then of the purps. You can see a spider shacked up in one of the pitchers if you look closely at the last pic.

Wow, those are some really nice flowers

Nice !! Thanks a lot for sharing this.
Great photos here,

We have a natural peat bog around here called tourbière de blainville (blainville peatbog in french).

We can found sars purpurea and many utricularia & sundews species.

I have to take pictures next time ill go there.

That Sphagnum :drool:

Oh, and those purps are nice too. :p

Nice pictures! The purpurea look really green and it looks like they will be overgrown by the other plants though. It is still good that the state went to the trouble of restoring the habitat, though.

Nice pictures! The purpurea look really green and it looks like they will be overgrown by the other plants though. It is still good that the state went to the trouble of restoring the habitat, though.

Yeah, the Water Arum was overrunning pretty much everything in sight. I wouldn't have noticed most of the purps if it weren't for their flowers - they were pretty far from the walkway.

Neat, I've never been through there before, I know generally where the park is though.

Neat, I've never been through there before, I know generally where the park is though.

It made for an interesting day out, though admittedly most of it was spent wandering back and forth (up and down the Cedar Lake Regional Trail).

Back