What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favi's Heli Thread

"Did you read the paper I linked? Do you have reasons to deny the research in support of the photoprotective interpretation of anthocyanins?"

Im just saying that my helis start to decline if i remove some light. I speak from personnal observations. Just relax man, dont take it personnal...

Last edited:
Mike,

I understand your points on photoprotection and I don't think I ever argued against them.
In all fairness, I don't think I ever made the statement that maximum color equates to maximum health.
I did state that plant appearance is a good metric to judge a lighting system by, and I still stand by that.

However, as far as what I think my Heliamphora should look like, then this is where we have a difference of opinion.
I want mine to look like they do in nature, be it red, green, yellow, orange or all the above.

Butch

Butch and Maiden: Hey guys, I apologize if I was overly aggressive or unfriendly in my replies, or mistook what you were trying to say. The truth is I got a surprise $2000 car repair bill yesterday afternoon ("the check engine light is on because of this $400 part, but you also need to replace the timing belt, water pump, drive belt, brakes, transmission flush,etc.") I was pretty worked up about it, I'm sure that spilled over in my writing here. So I apologize for that. I'm always trying to engage in reasonable friendly discussion/debate, but I know that I often err on the side of too much bulldog. So I apologize for that as well.

Maiden: I definitely agree with you that if you reduce the light, your plants will be less colorful. I think most or all growers have had this same observation, so I'm not questioning the validity of your observations. The only thing I am trying to convince you of is
1) any part of the plant that is red is reflecting PAR (specifically, red PAR) back at you. If the whole plant is red, the whole plant is reflecting PAR back at you. For these claims to be true, you just have to believe in how color works, that red things reflect red light, green things reflect green light, etc. I 100% agree that if you are trying to get the plant to be fully blood red or even more intensely colored, you must supply a lot of light, and that if you turn down the light the color will decrease. So if the goal is to get that extreme color, yes, you must supply that much light, and not a bit less at a given temperature. When I say light is being indisputably wasted in those cases, my point isn't that you could supply less light and still get that color. We agree that one must definitely supply that much light, and no less to maintain that color. When the plant is green, it is absorbing and using 100% of the light you are supplying. As the light is increased, and the plant becomes more and more red, those red parts are reflecting light back at you, instead of absorbing it. So the more light you supply, the redder it becomes, but also the more (red) light is being reflecting back at you, instead of being absorbed and used by the plant. So this is what I mean when I say light is being wasted on a fully blood red plant--it is reflecting back as much red light as it possibly can, it is not using any of the reflected light. It remains true that if your goal is to achieve and maintain that intense red color, you definitely have to supply all of that light, we agree on that.

Butch:

>In all fairness, I don't think I ever made the statement that maximum color equates to maximum health.

agreed, I don't think you did either, my purpose wasn't to put that claim on you. I should have written more carefully. All along, I've just been trying to explicitly isolate some possible views on cultivation, and point out that I think the science renders some less defensible than others.

One possible view is: I like how sarracenioides looks when it is growing in full sun on Ptari. I want to cultivate my plants so they look like that. I have no beef with that, I said so twice and I'm happy to say it again. People can and should have whatever horticultural goal they want imo.

Another possible view is: The plants look awesome on Ptari, it *should* be my horticultural goal to duplicate that appearance in cultivation, *because* that appearance only happens in ideal natural conditions when the plant is maximally happy. I have never tried to pin this claim on you or anyone else, I'm sorry that I failed to be clear enough about that. I've laid out my reasons why I think the 'because' is unjustified in that view. If we accept the photoprotection interpretation of coloration, we have to interpret that full sun Ptari summit coloration as an attempt to reflect/reject PAR that would otherwise damage the plant. So we have to interpret those conditions as being excessive light conditions from the plant's point of view, its response to those conditions is to turn real red and reflect PAR back at the universe. And so then we also have to wonder, are those plants successfully reflecting all of the excess, or are they being nevertheless stressed or damaged by excess light. No one knows, I assume we agree on that. My point has never been to argue that you are mistaken about something, it's just been to reject this view, which I have acknowledged, maybe no one even holds. For the artificial light gardener, if the science tells us that that intense red color is a sign of self defense under excess light conditions, then we have two options:
1. I don't want to pay for excess light that the plant is just reflecting back at my face. I'm going to supply less light, even though the price is that the plant will be less red.
2. Job 1 for me is maintaining that intense color, that's my highest priority because it looks awesome. I will keep supplying sufficient light to do so, even though some of that light is wasted/reflected, and even though it is possible that (but unknown whether) the excess light is stressing or damaging the plant.

As in all things, you pick your poison. I make no claim about what the correct answer to this dilemma is. I'm just trying to make this dilemma explicit. I have said that if efficiency is the highest priority, it seems like that implies option 1. (Let me be explicit--efficiency has obviously never been my highest priority, I use some of the least efficient light options available. So I'm not claiming anyone *ought* to make efficiency their highest priority. I'm just saying that as the coloration increases, so too does the proportion of reflected/wasted PAR. What anyone *should* do in light of that fact is their business, not mine.)

When we see those intensely colored wild plants, I think we all feel a craving and strong desire--they look awesome, who wouldn't want that in their house? I think it is easy to look at those wild plants and interpret that coloration as their proper, maximally happy, or flourishing coloration, though again I'm not attributing such claims to you or anyone else. But that's what is so important about the photoprotection research: it forces us to look at that coloration in a totally different way. It forces us to view that intense coloration as a signal of *self defense* from excess light at a given temperature. It may turn out that nevertheless, those plants *are* truly flourishing and maximally happy, because their reflective response is perfectly effective at dispersing excess light, and they are at peak sugar production. Or it may turn out that those plants are being damaged in an inconsequential way by excess light coming through. Or it may be that they are being damaged in a consequential way. No one knows, that's all I've been trying to say.

I should have also been more clear.... by efficient I mean not in the light reflected by the plant as much as light never reaching the plant in the first place.

Using a linear T5 as an example, without a reflector approximately 60% of the bulb is pointed somewhere else besides the plant. This means 60% of your plant lighting electric cost is wasted.

With CFL's this is exponentially higher since most of their energy is pointed right back on the bulb itself due to their coiled or loop design.
They were designed to light rooms in a 360 degree fashion, which they do reasonably well. Compared to incandescent, they are much more efficient at this due to less energy being converted into heat instead of light.

By comparision, linear fluorescent bulbs allow us to redirect most of that lost energy back to the plant with proper faceted or parabolic, first surface, mirrored reflectors. This is not possible with coiled/loop CFL's, so by their very design they are inefficient as a plant light if we consider lumens per watt that actually reaches the plant as the metric.

However, the design inefficiency of CFL's is mute if you are trying to light a single specimen plant or two instead of an entire rack. Obviously, it would be more wasteful to use a 4 foot long linear bulb to supply the light to one or two plants.

In regard to your statements, I have made those exact statements years ago concerning excessive light and its effect on photoinhibition, so I do understand you point of view pretty well: http://icps.proboards.com/post/10490

I understand... no worries, and same here mate

In regard to your statements, I have made those exact statements years ago concerning excessive light and its effect on photoinhibition, so I do understand you point of view pretty well: http://icps.proboards.com/post/10490

That's cool, thanks for the link. I don't often visit the icps forum, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of useful posts. In emails or on facebook, I've spoken to several great longtime cp growers who were unfamiliar with this research, so I thought it was worth discussing here. My hope was to broadcast it generally, because I think it's intrinsically interesting biologically, and practically relevant for the horticulturist. Clearly you had the same aim in mind years ago, so thanks for calling my attention to that. I'm glad we are on the same page.

The other thing I should say (to all, not to anyone in particular) is that I'm not holding up my own practices as a model for anyone. I can produce evidence that this is how this plant looks after x years under 4 t12's, or this is how this plant looks after x years under 27 watt cfls. So I can say to another grower, if you like how that plant looks, if that's a satisfactory result for you, then you can get that result with that light. But the fact is, I am a lazy and superstitious grower, and I would never suggest otherwise. I started using shoplights because old books said they would work. I found that they did grow plants, and they were cheap up front, so it was easy for me to just keep adding more and more over time. I think I am running 30 t12 shoplights now, for potted plants and sterile cultures. This is obviously madness, and a tremendous waste of electricity. I have no defense for this. Alabama is a coal state, I felt especially bad about this, but luckily I was able to buy 150% wind and methane power. It's still wasteful, that doesn't excuse my wastefulness. The number of lights has gotten so large that the prospect of switching to a more efficient light system seems daunting in upfront costs. I have always chosen to add more plants and grow them tolerably well under cheap (upfront, but expensive in the long run) shoplights , rather than direct those funds to more efficient lights for the plants I already had. I have no defense for this either. I definitely never made some principled decision to avoid driving my plants with sufficient light to achieve intense color throughout. I made lazy decisions, and the results I get are simply a consequence of my lazy decisions. I'm just not going to pay for more lumens per square foot, nor for higher lumen/watt efficiency, and the prospect of wasted/reflected light had nothing to do with that decision. More generally, I am superstitious, like any good ball player. If something has worked sufficiently well for me in the past, I stick with it, and avoid trying new things that may well give better results. This is at best an understandable approach. I have never been an optimizer, unless effort or upfront cost was the variable to be minimized. So none of my comments in this thread should be taken as advocacy for doing what I do, beyond saying that this light will give this result, if you want that result, you can get it with that light. Nor am I claiming that on the basis of the photoprotection research, I decided to supply less light to my plants. That is not at all how I made my decision. I ought to run the numbers and determine how long it would take to recover the upfront cost of more efficient lights, but I'm scared to know the answer. I'm not eager to quantify my foolishness/wastefulness in this way. There is no defense for this. I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years, that kind of sums it up.

We are on the same page.... to a point :)

If I put a Nepenthes on my Heliamphora rack, it simply cannot survive the intensity.
But my Heliamphora seem to absolutely love it.

Many variables come into play...

ymmv, use what works best for you

Last edited:
Butch, it's not clear to me precisely where our disagreement lies. I suspect that in any case, I'm going to keep doing what I do, and you're going to keep doing what you do, in which case it may not matter. That's not intended to be a cop out; if you want to discuss the disagreement, I'm all for it, please just tell me specifically what we are disagreeing about. If it's specifically having the horticultural goal to get tepui summit coloration, well sure, it's clear we don't share that goal. On that point, he who pays the band calls the tune, as far as I'm concerned. I know for sure that my plants have good leaf form, grow, clump, flower, fruit, and yield viable seeds, despite the fact that 2 shoplights per 2x4 foot shelf supply far less PAR than they get in habitat. A single shoplight per 2 x 4 foot area makes sterile cultures germinate, grow, and multiply. To me this is evidence that they are happy and healthy, or at least sufficiently happy and healthy to do all those things. I freely admit, I don't know whether it is possible for them to be happier or healthier. For me good leaf form growth divisions and seeds are a satisfactory return on investment. In portland I got cool temps for free, here I am running ac 24-7-365, there are no basements in the floodplain. So I'm not claiming to have some principle based or optimal goal, I'm just kind of overextended as it is, that's what determines my goals.

Firstly before I forget, I think I broke the Thank You button thanking too many times. Having said that, Thank You Butch for the link in post #18. I found it very useful! :)
@Favi: I love a good fixer-upper! I have never grown Helis and don't know much about 'em, but that looks like quite a nice sized plant and should show us some nice changes as it perks up a bit in the coming months. I look forward to watching it grow! :)
@mike: I enjoyed the lengthy explanation of the effects of light intensity on plants. You have given me food for thought on the subject. However, I believe you spoke correctly when you addressed your reply as a "threadjacking". I am sorry to hear of your recent run of luck, but please have some decency man and let Favi have his thread back.???

@ Favi: almost forgot, I really liked how you put the sequence together in the first post! Nicely done sir! :bigthumpup:

First off, great job Favi! You responded to your plants' needs and are being rewarded with handsome pitchers.

The "light intensity" debate has been very interesting. In my case, I do the best I can with what is available. I have some
heliamphora in a highland/intermediate greenhouse, where the temperature suits them well, but the light levels are a bit low.
The leaves are mostly green with red highlights. Occasionally, the pitchers show slight etiolation.

The rest of my heliamphora are in the laundry room under artificial light = t5 or a cfl floodlamp. They have a lot more red colors in
the leaves, but the warmer temps seem to result in stunted growth and no flowers. (The mature plants in the greenhouse flower regularly.)

The end of this month, I will be attempting an artificial light setup in a cool basement. Hopefully, this will produce the best results for me.

Thank you to Butch and Mike for their thoughts and photos. I've been enlightened and will continue my efforts to improve my cultivation
methods.

Favi, keep up your efforts and and look forward to your future posts, and I should also apologize for contributing to the "hijack" -- I saw the response
by shortbus after I saved this.

Good growing,
Paul

Last edited:
Hello Shortbus,

well, fair enough, I apologize for offending you. On my reading, the conversation had already shifted from what lights can work, to what color one should demand from their plants. So once we are talking about lighting and what color one should demand, to me it seems relevant to discuss the science of plant coloration, and its implications for choosing lights. Maybe that was poor judgement on my part. FWIW, Favian wrote me directly and thanked me for all of the information, so it seems that he at least did not view my behavior as indecent. But I take your point, threads are free, I could have easily started a new one. I'll try harder in the future to do so.

No hijacking here! I learned a lot from Butch & Mike's input and I had a lot of fun learning from it! I'll keep updating and if the heli collection increases, I'm sure I will have to change some of my lighting techniques. Great growing and great input! Happy Friday!

Oh! And thank you, everyone for the compliments! :D

I'm happy with the outcome!

Update:

thanks for the light info, really want to get this plant as my next one and this discussion has definitely helped a lot. Even though at time it sounds like my data mining class. I was just thinking soooo are we rejecting or fail to reject the hypothesis?

Looking good Favian!! Congrats on finishing your classes.

Ps3isawesome: I can't tell if you are really asking or not, but my opinion is that so many observations are consistent with the hypothesis's predictions, it cannot be rejected. Perhaps this is needless and unwanted, if so I apologize. (I continue to think this is really interesting.) The paper I linked earlier discusses several studies that observed the photoprotective effect of anthocyanins by measuring light related damage in different treatments. In contrast, again just imo, it is difficult for me to believe that reduced temperatures, which reliably stimulate increased anthocyanin production, should be consistent with the prey attraction hypothesis. To me, if prey attraction is the explanation for the color, I would not expect optimal attractiveness (= most red) to occur at lower temps rather than higher, since it seems like nutrient demand would actually be higher at warmer temps rather than lower. In other words, imo, I'd expect overall metabolic activity to be higher at higher temps (within reason), and thus demand for nutrients/prey ought to be higher at higher temps. But if that's true, then one ought to expect maximum attractiveness (= increased anthocyanins/redness) to occur at those temps, not lower temps, which is what we actually observe. So on my reading of the observations, we can reject the prey attraction hypothesis, while finding substantial confirmation for the photoprotective hypothesis.

I guess it could be objected that at lower temps, insects are expected to be rarer, and so therefore the observed behavior makes sense. And there is evidence in the paper that P and N deficiency stimulate anthocyanin production, which is arguably consistent with the prey attraction hypothesis. However, it seems crucial to note that this increased anthocyanin production under low P or N conditions is observed in many families, none of which are carnivorous. So this behavior can't be explained in terms of prey attraction--surely neither maize nor Arabidopsis evolved this behavior to increase prey attraction and therefore address P or N limitation! Since we observe this in monocots and dicots, it appears to be a much older synapomorphy in plants generally, not a novel adaptation in carnivores. So imo, the evidence is compelling, both against the prey attraction interpretation, and in support of photoprotection. Again, my apologies if this is tiresome and not what you wanted :)

Looking good Favian!! Congrats on finishing your classes.

Ps3isawesome: I can't tell if you are really asking or not, but my opinion is that so many observations are consistent with the hypothesis's predictions, it cannot be rejected. Perhaps this is needless and unwanted, if so I apologize. (I continue to think this is really interesting.) The paper I linked earlier discusses several studies that observed the photoprotective effect of anthocyanins by measuring light related damage in different treatments. In contrast, again just imo, it is difficult for me to believe that reduced temperatures, which reliably stimulate increased anthocyanin production, should be consistent with the prey attraction hypothesis. To me, if prey attraction is the explanation for the color, I would not expect optimal attractiveness (= most red) to occur at lower temps rather than higher, since it seems like nutrient demand would actually be higher at warmer temps rather than lower. In other words, imo, I'd expect overall metabolic activity to be higher at higher temps (within reason), and thus demand for nutrients/prey ought to be higher at higher temps. But if that's true, then one ought to expect maximum attractiveness (= increased anthocyanins/redness) to occur at those temps, not lower temps, which is what we actually observe. So on my reading of the observations, we can reject the prey attraction hypothesis, while finding substantial confirmation for the photoprotective hypothesis.

I guess it could be objected that at lower temps, insects are expected to be rarer, and so therefore the observed behavior makes sense. And there is evidence in the paper that P and N deficiency stimulate anthocyanin production, which is arguably consistent with the prey attraction hypothesis. However, it seems crucial to note that this increased anthocyanin production under low P or N conditions is observed in many families, none of which are carnivorous. So this behavior can't be explained in terms of prey attraction--surely neither maize nor Arabidopsis evolved this behavior to increase prey attraction and therefore address P or N limitation! Since we observe this in monocots and dicots, it appears to be a much older synapomorphy in plants generally, not a novel adaptation in carnivores. So imo, the evidence is compelling, both against the prey attraction interpretation, and in support of photoprotection. Again, my apologies if this is tiresome and not what you wanted :)

Thank you, Mike! It was a hard summer, term.

freshly opened!

4 out of 5 Heli growers approve of this image :-O

Back